Respite care. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Respite care.

Options
moonlight
moonlight Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Adult social care have granted 6 weeks per year respite care. So when I need  to have a break 
I can get my husband into a care home: What we would like to know, the social services
told me that if a home might be more expensive than their budget (Council). They would expect me to 'top up' that amount, my point is with 6 weeks granted for the year why would they expect me to pay if there are weeks that have not been taken? Surely the total budget  should be taken into consideration. For example only one week last year used! So saved a lot of resources in our opinion. After all if we use all 6 weeks over a year, obviously the council source
the homes fr their budget.

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Options
    Hello Moonlight, We're looking into your query for you. Please could you tell us which Council you are dealing with and could you confirm if you're receiving Direct Payments? Many thanks Scope helpline
  • moonlight
    Options
    Good afternoon, Thank you for reply, We are Hammersmith and Fulham Council
    not on Direct Payments.
                              Regards Jenny
  • moonlight
    Options
  • moonlight
    Options
    Hello Moonlight, We're looking into your query for you. Please could you tell us which Council you are dealing with and could you confirm if you're receiving Direct Payments? Many thanks Scope helpline

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Options

As I understand it, the social worker will have calculated your husband’s personal budget based on an identified need for 6 weeks of respite care and the cost of providing that support.  They have to ensure that 6 weeks could be funded if needed. 

If you are not using the allocated 6 weeks of respite care then the social worker could question the need for that number of weeks to be provided and the budget could be reduced to reflect this.  If respite care provided in this way is not meeting your needs then it would be worth discussing this with a social worker so that alternative options can be explored. 

As the local authority are managing your budget and arranging services on your behalf they are likely to be contracting with certain providers at a fixed cost.  If they are unable to arrange respite care for your husband at any time they may decide to use alternative but more expensive suppliers.  If they are then suggesting that you would have to top up in those circumstances then you could challenge this as this would not be your choice.

Action on Disability is a local support organisation that may be able to provide you with local information and advice around personal budgets.

This type of query can be a bit tricky to explain so if you want to talk by phone please feel free to get in touch at the helpline.

Regards

Angela

helpline Information Officer  (Social Care) 

• moonlight
    Options
    Thank you for reply much appreciated.
          Regards Jen

Brightness