raising money for new wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

raising money for new wheelchair

craigyjr
craigyjr Community member Posts: 5 Listener
hello my name is martin craig i was recently in the northern echo newspaper with a plea for help
 http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/14509722.Thieves_steal_disabled_man_s_wheelchair_twice_in_five_months/
i dont know where i should be asking i have never had to raise money before i hope this aint against any rules.

any help you may be able to give would greatly be appreciated and would help me out in ways i can describe.

thank you
martin

Comments

• OlliHannah
    OlliHannah Community member Posts: 30 Connected

Hi Martin

I'm so sorry to hear about what's happened to you - for it to happen once is awful but twice must be so upsetting.

You may want to have a look at the Turn2Us website https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ and use their grant search tool. It is also worth looking at Scope's pages relating to applying for funding which gives lots of hints & tips http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/apply-grants/links

Have the police been able to give you any suggestions about ways to protect your wheelchair when it is outside?

It may be worthwhile speaking to Fish Insurance about the terms and conditions of their wheelchair insurance to see whether there is any way that they could cover your chair whilst  it is left outside if you were able to secure it in any way.

Best of luck with the fundraising - let us know how you get on

OlliHannah :-)

• craigyjr
    edited May 2016
    hi i have just received cctv cameras thru the post yesterday and should be getting fitted this weekend, also im looking into getting a car with a sliding back door suck as the citroen berlingo but again its all money but would mean i can load wheelchair in and out car without having to walk to but unaided, i am waiting for grant forms from the motability so we will go from there, but i dont know if i be able to get a grant for a wheelchair but i look on the site you suggested 
  • JenniferU
    JenniferU Community member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    edited May 2016
    Hi Craig,

Really sorry to hear you had to go through this. I'm hoping that @Janeywoo @Jean_M  @BethSlade @DebbieVoakes
    might be able to help advise you where to go to apply for grants. 

Good luck, and if you need any support just ask on here. :)

Jen

• Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Have you considered asking your GP to refer you to your local wheelchair centre? every County has a NHS led wheelchair centre. I have a normal push wheelchair and a supa indoor/outdoor electric wheelchair, supplied free of charge by my council wheelchair centre. I have to say that my GP's pratice didn't have the foggiest idea that Warwickshire had a wheelchair centre, so l rand the adult service team at the council, they sent an occupational terrorist to assess me and the rest as they say is history.

Good luck
  • craigyjr
    the 2 chairs that was stolen was provided by my local wheelchair servise and they would give me a third
  • craigyjr
    wont give me a third i meant
  • Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Craig the wheelchair centre have a duty of care towards you. If you are unable to get out you are entitled to a wheelchair even if you have had yours nicked. l have checked with my MP's office (Craig Tracy MP). His senior case worker told me to advise you to email your MP's office and ask them to do something.

If you are disabled you are entitled to have a suitable wheelchair.

Do it mate they are usually pretty okay.

Stay safe Rob
  • craigyjr
    i will get intouch with my local mp today and see what she says thanks for the info

Brightness