disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disability

codfisherman
codfisherman Community member Posts: 9 Listener
i have  been on disability  for  some  years  now  and  my condition is  now  so bad i can hardly  walk i was given an appointment  to go  to be  asessed  for  this new  pip; i could  not  park in birmingham   and i was trying to get to the  venue but it  was  too far  away from where  we had parked  the  appoint ment was  @ 4.55pm peak  hour;; we got there  @ 5.35  pm  and  they wouldn't  see  me  they  said i was  a none     attendant, i even had difficulty getting up the  various  steps  to the  building  i was in agony  eventually  when i got  home i never  made it  to my bed i just collapsed in tears iam 67yrs old i was`nt told that some one  could  have visited  my  home  for  an asessment i didn`t know  that the people there  could  be  so callous iam  a very  worried  man and i am now  at breaking point  and  i do not know  what  to  do  or  who  i can discuss  my  case  with  no  one  will help  me  i am right on the  edge this  whole  experience  has  made  me  physically  sick please  please  help  me   my name is  dave   please  help  me

Comments

• JadeB
    JadeB Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Hi Dave, that's horrible that you have been treated this way. If I were you I'd call and demand to make a complaint. Take the issue as far as you can. I hope it all works out for you xxx
  • codfisherman
    every thing i have done falls on deaf ears totally frustrated/upset  and i am not coping every thing i just want  to throw the  towel in  i have  had enough
  • codfisherman
    i do not  know  where to turn i am very worried /stressed sick/ill i dont  want to carry on  any more i am un able   to  to do most  things  for  myself xxx
  • JadeB
    I don't know what else to suggest really apart from going to your gp and getting a letter to back you up. 
  • JadeB
    I was denied my pip and had to really put my foot down to be seen close to home x
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Dave, I'd really like to talk to you about your recent experience with your PIP assessment. I've been on annual leave and came back today so i'm sorry that I couldn't answer sooner. What happened to you is awful and I'm sorry that you have experienced this. If you do not attend the face to face assessment without good reason (taking into account your state of health and the nature of any disability) your claim will be disallowed. You should be contacted and asked to explain your reasons. If the case manager refuses to accept that you had good reason, you can challenge the decision. This starts with a Mandatory Reconsideration. Have you been contacted yet and asked to explain why you failed to attend, have you been given the opportunity to explain how you got caught in rush hour traffic, could not park and couldn't even get up the steps without agonising pain? If so, what was the outcome? It sounds as though you should have had the opportunity to have an assessment at home to save putting yourself through all of the trauma and physical pain of getting to the appointment. It should have been made clear in the communications from the healthcare providers that if you are unable to attend a face to face assessment that you should contact them and a home assessment could be made available. I've lost count of the amount of people I've spoken to who have had very similar experiences to yours through no fault of their own. There are lots of us here on this community who will support you and guide you through. Let me know where things stand now and whether you managed to resolve any of this. I really feel for you and hope that you're ok. Best wishes Debbie
  • codfisherman
    I am at the end of my tether I feel so useless I have had enough
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Dave,

Can you email me with your phone number so that I can call you? helpline@scope.org.uk I want to make sure you're ok and talk you through some options if that's ok?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.