HATE people who fake a disability????!!!! Who else agrees and how can we stop them???? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HATE people who fake a disability????!!!! Who else agrees and how can we stop them????

Options
galvin66
galvin66 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi my name is Catherine.

Seven years ago I worked for the C.A.B. on a special project that helped the public with disability benefit and debt issues.  My colleague helped with disability benefit queries and my speciality was debt issues.  We shared an office, so I would say 9 out of 10 clients asking WHY the where refused DLA and they wished to appeal.  My disability is not evident whilst I am at my desk and I had to sit an listen to my colleague explaining they needed medical evidence to appeal a DLA claim refusal........... They would get angry and state that they had to take paracetamol and ibuprofen all the time for pain....???!?? Can you imagine how I felt listening to this rubbish.  I worked 16hrs per week and every morning I took Morphine, Gabapentin, anti-depressants etc before I got out of bed, just so I COULD PHYSICALLY get out of bed without pain.  So please support me in seeking out THE FAKE alleged disable people....... Good taxpayers money which WE DISABLED persons need, for real reasons like say cars, taxis, a career etc...... 

SORRY for the rant, but I feel so strongly about scroungers 

Comments

• bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    Options
    Among others I also take morphine and Gabapentin. The country I live in a lot of people are trying to fake a disability to get benefits. It's  long long process to actually get it though. I also really hate it when people fake a disability or an illness to get attention or sympathy from others.
  • nickp
    nickp Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    Grr I hate fakers im ok getting out of bed but its all my meds I take to stay alive and prevent seizures this makes me sick
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Options
    Personally I can't see how anyone would put themselves through such a difficult ordeal trying to get a disability benefit.  
    The difficulty that disabled people have just trying to access the money they need to live..... The hoops that must be jumped through, the indignity and harassment that often comes with a claim to the DWP, the endless administration and record keeping, the  constant battling with staff and assessors... Given what I know about the current experience of DP and the benefits system - well to be honest it has made me me highly sceptical of the whole idea of disability benefit fraud.  
     I can't help but feel it is an idea that the media have grabbed onto and are thrusting in our collective faces to try to divide society.  

you might find this interesting 
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/27/false-benefit-fraud-allegations

And let's not quibble about who's doctor gave them what medicine please.  Impairment hierarchy sucks.  

-B x
  • daz1
    daz1 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options

From reading the previous comments there seems to be too much emphasis on how much medication people are on. There are thousands of people with disabilities who take no medication at all.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/10bn-worth-of-benefits-go-unclaimed-each-year-in-the-uk-a7085166.html

• MarionK
    MarionK Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi Galvin66,
    Have I got this right :- Your colleague was trying to get DLA because he was suffering pain, that could be alleviated by over the counter medication;
    he was refused;
    and this was around 7 years ago?

• JadeB
    JadeB Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Options
    Makes me sick when people fake being ill or having a disability. I've been denied my PIP and have cerebral palsy, yes I work part time but even so I still need help. Taxis for appointments, prescriptions, support bandages etc. And I can't get any support at all! 
  • JadeB
    Options
    Although when it comes to medication and pain killers I am amongst those that use paracetamol and naproxen, I have morphine based pain killers but prefer not to take them unless I really can't stand the pain as they are highly addictive and make me feel unwell x
  • nickp
    Options

Hi Jade B

Apparently you can claim PIP and work as many hours as you want as its not means tested If you need life long prescriptions have a word with your G.P.You should be classed as disabled and I would have thought you would get free prescriptions I have a card for exempt prescriptions as im classed as epileptic due to a brain tumour I suffered seizures 3 years ago until my op to remove my tumour im on anti seizures for life plus I take other long term meds due to cardiac problems.If your GP. is not helpful ask your local Citizens Advice they are brilliant Nick P xx

• JadeB
    Options
    I'm not registered disabled because, as a chill the education system insisted I be put in a special needs school. ( I don't have a learning difficulty) my mum thought really hard to get me into main stream schooling. And so she did not register me disabled or claim any money for fear they would take me away and not let me have the opportunity to go to a main stream school xx
  • daz1
    daz1 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options

You do not need to be registered disabled to gain free prescription, not that many people register themselves disabled anymore due to the stigma That goes with the word "disabled" This link to the NHS website give you details of who is exempt from paying.  

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

• JadeB
    Options
    Thank you I've already asked my doctor before and was told because I work (part time arm) I have to pay x
  • whatever2016
    whatever2016 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Cant fake mine its genetic.and its a lab test.
    so basically im nackerd
  • galvin66
    Options
    Sorry for not responding sooner guys, I've been in hospital (funnily enough)...... They gave me a steroid injection in a new area of my spine because unfortunately my recent MRI shows further (forgot the word at the moment) problems with stenosis and bad looking discs aaaaghhhhhh...... Anyone who has a nerve injection in their spine knows how horrid they are!!!??!!

Anyway sorry for waffling, many of you have such valid comments, you DONT need to be on tons of medication to be DISABLED; and hey "whatever2016", we folk may be knackered, but we have so much to give to other people..... we have amazing strength of mind and have a wide variety of techniques of dealing with all sorts of pain...... So maybe we are "slightly, ha ha" physically disabled ("slightly" can be replaced with varies swear words, %, stronger words..... Just trying to lighten the conversation,hey, hey, hey :D..........), it we can share a great deal of knowledge.  If I can help at all, please ask away any debt questions, however I'm not a benefits advisor, sorry

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Options
    absolutely and very well said @galvin66 - everyone has different experiences of disability, and develops different coping strategies as a result - that's a lot of wisdom and insight we can learn from one another, and share with others.  Starting the "I'm-more-disabled-than-you" competition gets in the way of all that; it's damaging to us individuals and as a collective!  

Very sorry to hear you were in hospital - hope you're doing better now? 

-B x

• nickp
    Options
    galvin66 hope your on the mend I had a cortisone injection in my back once as I have arthritis told to lay perfectly still as one move and I could end up paralysed I never did thank god but now im classed as disabled with brain damage m.h.issues and artrial fibliration fast heart beat I think its 200 to 300 bpm old before my time and definetly knackered but hey ho im still alive funnily enough I have tried to take the easy way out always got stopped and this year actually got sectioned which was beneficial to me
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    Options
    I had a steroid injection in my shoulder and it really hurt. It was the most painful injection I think I've ever received but probably after about 5 minutes it felt so good.
  • whatever2016
    whatever2016 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited September 2016
    Options
    galvin66 said:
    Sorry for not responding sooner guys, I've been in hospital (funnily enough)...... They gave me a steroid injection in a new area of my spine because unfortunately my recent MRI shows further (forgot the word at the moment) problems with stenosis and bad looking discs aaaaghhhhhh...... Anyone who has a nerve injection in their spine knows how horrid they are!!!??!!

Anyway sorry for waffling, many of you have such valid comments, you DONT need to be on tons of medication to be DISABLED; and hey "whatever2016", we folk may be knackered, but we have so much to give to other people..... we have amazing strength of mind and have a wide variety of techniques of dealing with all sorts of pain...... So maybe we are "slightly, ha ha" physically disabled ("slightly" can be replaced with varies swear words, %, stronger words..... Just trying to lighten the conversation,hey, hey, hey :D..........), it we can share a great deal of knowledge.  If I can help at all, please ask away any debt questions, however I'm not a benefits advisor, sorry

Thanks  for the vote of confidence.
    Its nice to know there are lots of others out there who think we have lots to give.

Ive nurses and doctors telling me this every single day.

And hey its not them we need to impress its ourselves.  (reason for saying what I said)

speak soon
    as one of my freins used to say cry me a river build a bridge and get over it.

Whatever
  • galvin66
    Options
    Hi to all who replied, firstly, BethSlade, the spinal injection I had has WORKED..... YEPPIE, it means I can now reduce the amount of morphine I take each day (this is such a relief, as I detest the affect morphine has on my general health).  So thanks for your concern, I'm so happy and Miss Smiley, again!!!

Hey Nickp, glad to hear you got the mental health support, which folk with long term health issues often suffer greatly from and very often in silence??!!?  Sounds like you have a tough time of it lately..... Any time day or night you wish to have a rant or just a quick hello sent back to you, please know I will be here for you........ Many people with chronic pain (in whichever way it shows its ugly face to the world, I.e., my depleting spine or your arthritis. Can I ask you, Nickp, you say you have brain damage, mental health issues (and I am soooooooo glad you are still with us in this funny old world, having you just replying to my message has made me happy in loads of ways but also sad for you having gone through some really tough times), how did you obtain brain damage? I do hope it was NOT from the spinal injection? If it was please could you explain what happened (if you don't mind)... Thanks Nickp.

Hey bam, YES, YES, YES and more YESES, injection was b***dy painful, but well worth it :-) 

and Finally a big Hi to Waterver2016......... I hope to meet you on that bridge, so we can all get together and help one another, it whatever is bothering us....

My next big hurdle I have to et thre soon is MOVING HOUSE and COUNTRY...... I am moving back to the UK having lived in Switzerland for the past 6 1/2 years!!!!!! And yes before you all say, oh what a pretty place to live, Switzerland is a beautiful place........... However, it is HUGELY expensive and there's nothing like the British sense of humour, I have missed loads of things since being abroad, not limited to but INCLUDING HP sauce, fish and chips, our vast variety of edible cheeses (funnily enough) HOWEVER the main thing I have missed is the access and acknowledgement of disablement facilities.  Switzerland DO HAVE DISABLED parking, however the size of the car spaces are the same as a NORMAL size space...... Daaaaaaaah, how is a person with mobility issues meant to et open the car door wide enough to get into/out of a b***dy wheel chair???????????!!?! If you wish to take a train journey, you have to book in advance so they can have an assistant available with a ramp........ Yeah it's TRUE, oh and most toilets in restaurants, coffee shops (including some STARBUCKS), etc etc ARE DOWNSTAIRS, with NO LIFTS....... go figure??!!?........ Oh there is such a long list of issues not DISABLE FRIENDLY here is SWITZERLAND............ So roll on the 28th Sept, even with the upheaval of moving, I can't wait to be back home, anyway that's my rant for the day...... 
  • nickp
    Options

Hi galvin66

In response to your kind email.My brain damage stems from my brain tumour op or as the medical world calls it acquired brain injury this was discovered and confirmed when I was on a 136 Sectioned the hospital I was in in Guildford was fantastic and the staff were incredible non-judgemental no uniforms because of people who suffer white coat syndrome I was in for a fort night and I was weaned off Flueoxceine (Prozac) in case of side effects Diazepam which I had run out of before I went in and tramadol because Morphine wouldn't touch my head aches,Yes  feeling a lot better thank you .We all have a natural chemical in our brains called Serotonin and when that's low because of no natural sun light we can all feel down Glad your moving back to good old blighty what part are you moving to speak soon Nickp

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    galvin66 said:
    Hi my name is Catherine.

Seven years ago I worked for the C.A.B. on a special project that helped the public with disability benefit and debt issues.  My colleague helped with disability benefit queries and my speciality was debt issues.  We shared an office, so I would say 9 out of 10 clients asking WHY the where refused DLA and they wished to appeal.  My disability is not evident whilst I am at my desk and I had to sit an listen to my colleague explaining they needed medical evidence to appeal a DLA claim refusal........... They would get angry and state that they had to take paracetamol and ibuprofen all the time for pain....???!?? Can you imagine how I felt listening to this rubbish.  I worked 16hrs per week and every morning I took Morphine, Gabapentin, anti-depressants etc before I got out of bed, just so I COULD PHYSICALLY get out of bed without pain.  So please support me in seeking out THE FAKE alleged disable people....... Good taxpayers money which WE DISABLED persons need, for real reasons like say cars, taxis, a career etc...... 

SORRY for the rant, but I feel so strongly about scroungers 

Brightness