Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

HATE people who fake a disability????!!!! Who else agrees and how can we stop them????

galvin66galvin66 Member Posts: 18
Hi my name is Catherine.

Seven years ago I worked for the C.A.B. on a special project that helped the public with disability benefit and debt issues.  My colleague helped with disability benefit queries and my speciality was debt issues.  We shared an office, so I would say 9 out of 10 clients asking WHY the where refused DLA and they wished to appeal.  My disability is not evident whilst I am at my desk and I had to sit an listen to my colleague explaining they needed medical evidence to appeal a DLA claim refusal........... They would get angry and state that they had to take paracetamol and ibuprofen all the time for pain....???!?? Can you imagine how I felt listening to this rubbish.  I worked 16hrs per week and every morning I took Morphine, Gabapentin, anti-depressants etc before I got out of bed, just so I COULD PHYSICALLY get out of bed without pain.  So please support me in seeking out THE FAKE alleged disable people....... Good taxpayers money which WE DISABLED persons need, for real reasons like say cars, taxis, a career etc...... 

SORRY for the rant, but I feel so strongly about scroungers 

Replies

• bambam Member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Among others I also take morphine and Gabapentin. The country I live in a lot of people are trying to fake a disability to get benefits. It's  long long process to actually get it though. I also really hate it when people fake a disability or an illness to get attention or sympathy from others.
  • nickpnickp Member Posts: 18
    Grr I hate fakers im ok getting out of bed but its all my meds I take to stay alive and prevent seizures this makes me sick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Personally I can't see how anyone would put themselves through such a difficult ordeal trying to get a disability benefit.  
    The difficulty that disabled people have just trying to access the money they need to live..... The hoops that must be jumped through, the indignity and harassment that often comes with a claim to the DWP, the endless administration and record keeping, the  constant battling with staff and assessors... Given what I know about the current experience of DP and the benefits system - well to be honest it has made me me highly sceptical of the whole idea of disability benefit fraud.  
     I can't help but feel it is an idea that the media have grabbed onto and are thrusting in our collective faces to try to divide society.  

you might find this interesting 
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/27/false-benefit-fraud-allegations

And let's not quibble about who's doctor gave them what medicine please.  Impairment hierarchy sucks.  

-B x
  • daz1daz1 Member Posts: 14 Courageous

From reading the previous comments there seems to be too much emphasis on how much medication people are on. There are thousands of people with disabilities who take no medication at all.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/10bn-worth-of-benefits-go-unclaimed-each-year-in-the-uk-a7085166.html

• MarionKMarionK Member Posts: 1
    Hi Galvin66,
    Have I got this right :- Your colleague was trying to get DLA because he was suffering pain, that could be alleviated by over the counter medication;
    he was refused;
    and this was around 7 years ago?

• JadeBJadeB Member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Makes me sick when people fake being ill or having a disability. I've been denied my PIP and have cerebral palsy, yes I work part time but even so I still need help. Taxis for appointments, prescriptions, support bandages etc. And I can't get any support at all! 
    Although when it comes to medication and pain killers I am amongst those that use paracetamol and naproxen, I have morphine based pain killers but prefer not to take them unless I really can't stand the pain as they are highly addictive and make me feel unwell x

Hi Jade B

Apparently you can claim PIP and work as many hours as you want as its not means tested If you need life long prescriptions have a word with your G.P.You should be classed as disabled and I would have thought you would get free prescriptions I have a card for exempt prescriptions as im classed as epileptic due to a brain tumour I suffered seizures 3 years ago until my op to remove my tumour im on anti seizures for life plus I take other long term meds due to cardiac problems.If your GP. is not helpful ask your local Citizens Advice they are brilliant Nick P xx

I'm not registered disabled because, as a chill the education system insisted I be put in a special needs school. ( I don't have a learning difficulty) my mum thought really hard to get me into main stream schooling. And so she did not register me disabled or claim any money for fear they would take me away and not let me have the opportunity to go to a main stream school xx

You do not need to be registered disabled to gain free prescription, not that many people register themselves disabled anymore due to the stigma That goes with the word "disabled" This link to the NHS website give you details of who is exempt from paying.  

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

Thank you I've already asked my doctor before and was told because I work (part time arm) I have to pay x
  • whatever2016whatever2016 Member Posts: 8
    Cant fake mine its genetic.and its a lab test.
    so basically im nackerd
  • galvin66galvin66 Member Posts: 18
    Sorry for not responding sooner guys, I've been in hospital (funnily enough)...... They gave me a steroid injection in a new area of my spine because unfortunately my recent MRI shows further (forgot the word at the moment) problems with stenosis and bad looking discs aaaaghhhhhh...... Anyone who has a nerve injection in their spine knows how horrid they are!!!??!!

Anyway sorry for waffling, many of you have such valid comments, you DONT need to be on tons of medication to be DISABLED; and hey "whatever2016", we folk may be knackered, but we have so much to give to other people..... we have amazing strength of mind and have a wide variety of techniques of dealing with all sorts of pain...... So maybe we are "slightly, ha ha" physically disabled ("slightly" can be replaced with varies swear words, %, stronger words..... Just trying to lighten the conversation,hey, hey, hey :D..........), it we can share a great deal of knowledge.  If I can help at all, please ask away any debt questions, however I'm not a benefits advisor, sorry

absolutely and very well said @galvin66 - everyone has different experiences of disability, and develops different coping strategies as a result - that's a lot of wisdom and insight we can learn from one another, and share with others.  Starting the "I'm-more-disabled-than-you" competition gets in the way of all that; it's damaging to us individuals and as a collective!  

Very sorry to hear you were in hospital - hope you're doing better now? 

-B x

galvin66 hope your on the mend I had a cortisone injection in my back once as I have arthritis told to lay perfectly still as one move and I could end up paralysed I never did thank god but now im classed as disabled with brain damage m.h.issues and artrial fibliration fast heart beat I think its 200 to 300 bpm old before my time and definetly knackered but hey ho im still alive funnily enough I have tried to take the easy way out always got stopped and this year actually got sectioned which was beneficial to me
    I had a steroid injection in my shoulder and it really hurt. It was the most painful injection I think I've ever received but probably after about 5 minutes it felt so good.
  • whatever2016whatever2016 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2016
    galvin66 said:
    Sorry for not responding sooner guys, I've been in hospital (funnily enough)...... They gave me a steroid injection in a new area of my spine because unfortunately my recent MRI shows further (forgot the word at the moment) problems with stenosis and bad looking discs aaaaghhhhhh...... Anyone who has a nerve injection in their spine knows how horrid they are!!!??!!

Anyway sorry for waffling, many of you have such valid comments, you DONT need to be on tons of medication to be DISABLED; and hey "whatever2016", we folk may be knackered, but we have so much to give to other people..... we have amazing strength of mind and have a wide variety of techniques of dealing with all sorts of pain...... So maybe we are "slightly, ha ha" physically disabled ("slightly" can be replaced with varies swear words, %, stronger words..... Just trying to lighten the conversation,hey, hey, hey :D..........), it we can share a great deal of knowledge.  If I can help at all, please ask away any debt questions, however I'm not a benefits advisor, sorry

Thanks  for the vote of confidence.
    Its nice to know there are lots of others out there who think we have lots to give.

Ive nurses and doctors telling me this every single day.

And hey its not them we need to impress its ourselves.  (reason for saying what I said)

speak soon
    as one of my freins used to say cry me a river build a bridge and get over it.

Whatever
    Hi to all who replied, firstly, BethSlade, the spinal injection I had has WORKED..... YEPPIE, it means I can now reduce the amount of morphine I take each day (this is such a relief, as I detest the affect morphine has on my general health).  So thanks for your concern, I'm so happy and Miss Smiley, again!!!

Hey Nickp, glad to hear you got the mental health support, which folk with long term health issues often suffer greatly from and very often in silence??!!?  Sounds like you have a tough time of it lately..... Any time day or night you wish to have a rant or just a quick hello sent back to you, please know I will be here for you........ Many people with chronic pain (in whichever way it shows its ugly face to the world, I.e., my depleting spine or your arthritis. Can I ask you, Nickp, you say you have brain damage, mental health issues (and I am soooooooo glad you are still with us in this funny old world, having you just replying to my message has made me happy in loads of ways but also sad for you having gone through some really tough times), how did you obtain brain damage? I do hope it was NOT from the spinal injection? If it was please could you explain what happened (if you don't mind)... Thanks Nickp.

Hey bam, YES, YES, YES and more YESES, injection was b***dy painful, but well worth it :-) 

and Finally a big Hi to Waterver2016......... I hope to meet you on that bridge, so we can all get together and help one another, it whatever is bothering us....

My next big hurdle I have to et thre soon is MOVING HOUSE and COUNTRY...... I am moving back to the UK having lived in Switzerland for the past 6 1/2 years!!!!!! And yes before you all say, oh what a pretty place to live, Switzerland is a beautiful place........... However, it is HUGELY expensive and there's nothing like the British sense of humour, I have missed loads of things since being abroad, not limited to but INCLUDING HP sauce, fish and chips, our vast variety of edible cheeses (funnily enough) HOWEVER the main thing I have missed is the access and acknowledgement of disablement facilities.  Switzerland DO HAVE DISABLED parking, however the size of the car spaces are the same as a NORMAL size space...... Daaaaaaaah, how is a person with mobility issues meant to et open the car door wide enough to get into/out of a b***dy wheel chair???????????!!?! If you wish to take a train journey, you have to book in advance so they can have an assistant available with a ramp........ Yeah it's TRUE, oh and most toilets in restaurants, coffee shops (including some STARBUCKS), etc etc ARE DOWNSTAIRS, with NO LIFTS....... go figure??!!?........ Oh there is such a long list of issues not DISABLE FRIENDLY here is SWITZERLAND............ So roll on the 28th Sept, even with the upheaval of moving, I can't wait to be back home, anyway that's my rant for the day...... 

Hi galvin66

In response to your kind email.My brain damage stems from my brain tumour op or as the medical world calls it acquired brain injury this was discovered and confirmed when I was on a 136 Sectioned the hospital I was in in Guildford was fantastic and the staff were incredible non-judgemental no uniforms because of people who suffer white coat syndrome I was in for a fort night and I was weaned off Flueoxceine (Prozac) in case of side effects Diazepam which I had run out of before I went in and tramadol because Morphine wouldn't touch my head aches,Yes  feeling a lot better thank you .We all have a natural chemical in our brains called Serotonin and when that's low because of no natural sun light we can all feel down Glad your moving back to good old blighty what part are you moving to speak soon Nickp

• nanof6nanof6 Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    galvin66 said:
    Hi my name is Catherine.

Seven years ago I worked for the C.A.B. on a special project that helped the public with disability benefit and debt issues.  My colleague helped with disability benefit queries and my speciality was debt issues.  We shared an office, so I would say 9 out of 10 clients asking WHY the where refused DLA and they wished to appeal.  My disability is not evident whilst I am at my desk and I had to sit an listen to my colleague explaining they needed medical evidence to appeal a DLA claim refusal........... They would get angry and state that they had to take paracetamol and ibuprofen all the time for pain....???!?? Can you imagine how I felt listening to this rubbish.  I worked 16hrs per week and every morning I took Morphine, Gabapentin, anti-depressants etc before I got out of bed, just so I COULD PHYSICALLY get out of bed without pain.  So please support me in seeking out THE FAKE alleged disable people....... Good taxpayers money which WE DISABLED persons need, for real reasons like say cars, taxis, a career etc...... 

SORRY for the rant, but I feel so strongly about scroungers 

i agree, to save my husband getting the ramp down from the car to get me out to shop in tescos, (we only needed 2 items) i sat in the car park watching people put up blue badge, walking very well to the entrance,muddy dogs in the steamed up car, must of been for a good run, when this lady came back she unloaded 4 bags with ease skipted to push the trolly back , drove off.if i worked for the council, who give the blue badge i would put them in dis car park, in supermarkets ect, they would see what i see, they would save on giveing out the blue badges and help more with people who are genuin,she must of ran around tescos cos my husband was not back.

nanof6

That's ok you rant all you want it beggars belief that there are scroungers who abuse the system maybe we all should have id cards that explains our disabilities so we can sort out fact from fiction.

Nickp

edited September 2016
    You can still walk & have a Blue Badge. I have on but I can walk (not very far). I can walk around Tesco's.
    You can still walk & have a Blue Badge. I have hemiplegic CP. I have a Blue Badge but I can walk (not very far). I can walk around Tesco's. Your making me feel guilty for having a Blue Badge & being able to walk.
    Hey daz1, I hope it was not me that made you feel guilty for walking round Tescos, I would never have intentionally hurt anyone...... I don't think I did, but soooo sorry if it was me!!!!
    I would really like to understand your disability, is it your eyes? I am really bad at medical names, sos...... Take care galvin66
    Hi hemiplegia is similar to cerebral palsy but
    only affects one side of the body. Usually caused by serious brain injury at birth or soon after. Doesn't affect my eyes although I am very short sighted & have epilepsy. Walk with a severe limp. My left arm & left leg are two thirds the size of my right arm.
    Thanks daz1, gosh I really did not know......... My disability mainly affects my left hand side, walking is a problem, yet I am really stubborn. After I had a hit and run at 6 years old, I don't really remember much pre accident, (the quacks say after being in a coma for 3 weeks, some memories can disappear??!!?!) So now I am 50, I am proud that my crutches hold me up most day, however "I named my wheelchair Mr Zoom", crazy old woman hey??!! I do use laughter therapy to get me thru the stressful times I have faced from some idiotic people who don't think a 19 year old should have a blue badge, or after my first operation, when I got my first wheel chair and some folk talking to me like I was mentally challenged.  I was seeing many different therapists during my 20's, and the only one that helped was a great guy that made me laugh during my sessions....... I started writing a diary!!!!!  I still write in one every day, maybe that's my way of coping..... I kind of hope me telling you how I became disabled kind make us start to understand each of our disabilities 
  • basiclee08basiclee08 Member Posts: 71 Courageous
    I  am recently Disabled and can't get my head around someone wanting to fake being disabled. But I bet there are some. I wouldn't Hate them but more Pity them to stoop to do such a thing. Took me a while to come to terms being Disabled and All the Hoops I had to do to claim a Pittance. Besides big life style Changes we have to make. I have been lucky with family and friends supporting me in my transition and a great community  to call on For advice when I need it. 
    Hi basiclee08......... I am with you about the fake disability, but the system is now so tight hardly any get DLA/PIP awards.  Doctors/Consultants evidence is require plus an assessment.  When I worked at the CAB (over 7 years ago) it was hard back then and that was just DLA rules....... Now with PIP, which I know nothing about, I am returning this month to the Uk after seven years of living in Switzerland.  I don't know what happened back on August 17, but if I can help I'm hear??!!

I  was lucky my consultants and doctors helped me otherwise I hadn't a clue what to do or claim for. It is Interesting slightly disheartening to see they are now moving goal posts continually to claim PIP. I  feel for those losing cars and left with nothing saying fit for work when Obviously Not. System is so out of touch now seems not fit for purpose. Thank you for offer of help will keep that in mind. 
    I agree on that one BethSlade took me a while to accept being brain damaged with short term memory loss due  to a brain op .Maybe the government will issue us with id cards with our picture on kike a blue badge shows were not fakers I did say Fakers xx

I really don't like the idea of carrying an ID card to prove I'm disabled. A person with a hidden impairment may not like the idea of having to show people that they are disabled. Some just want to live a normal life as possible without having to prove that they are different even though they don't look any different.

• DownbutnotoutDownbutnotout Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I worked in a GP surgery for a number of years, it was obvious to us who's dla was up for renewal because all of a sudden they started to go off the rails, we had to deal with family members crying and screaming down the phone that the person was sucidal, this went on over a number of months until the person was sectioned. Then low and behold the form came into the surgery. On nights out we would meet these people with their mates and the rest of the time apart from social service involvement, they led a normal life. There where also people who despite there being nothing majorly physically wrong, used to verbally abuse us until they seen a doctor as they knew the more visits the better it looked on appeal. There are people who play the system, but what can be done? They know what to do to get around it. 

Now I'm totally fraggled, disc lay too long on lower back nerves, I can walk short distances in a lot of pain, morphine, gabapentin and 13 other medications keep me outta that wheelchair. But everyday is a step closer.

Blue Badge! I'm a young looking 38 and because I can walk/limp/hobble lean on my sons, I get awful looks for using disabled bays from older people!!!! Quite a lot of whom don't even have a badge in the window!! 
    I stopped discussing my disabilities with ‘friends’ because a few weeks later they had incorporated my symptoms despite having completely unrelated problems. It’s lonely nowadays, when people want problems for PIP forms. Be careful what you wish for, your health is yiur wealth!
    Hi Downbutnotout, I totally understand the awful looks from older people..... I first got my blue badge when I was 32 years old...... I had been very reluctant applying for DLA, but my doctor pushed me to apply because I was pretty much house bound and found it difficult to walk far distance, the blue badge was like opening so many doors for me..... It was fantastic but initially I would explain my condition to the older people but now I just ignore them, not worth me getting upset ..... Keep smiling Downbutnotout, you are amazing for just getting out of your home, well done
    I  think for me I Struggled to come to Terms with the word let alone  my condition. I  think our system to assess is broken and we need one that can grasp people's conditions some people can walk what assessor's don't see is one the pain an tablets they take to do so or the time and pain to recover!. Wish you well Downbutnotout and hopefully we get a system that can assess and Be  more Humane. 
    Ye I agree basiclee08 what the people at PIP need is someone classed as disabled to show them what life and their condition is like day in  day out a car goes round my area and has a sticker which reads Not all disabilities are visible for me I never imagined I would end up with a brain tumour now brain damaged with short term memory loss as I was always fit concentration was brilliant .I was iN MOD Security for 8 years two in private now unemployable and to cash in a private pension my G.P Has very kindly written me off .So I do an afternoon at a hospice charity shop.Im going to anN.H.S run recovery college to learn about personality disorders yet sometimes because of my mental health problems I can wake up a grumpy **** through no fault of my own.
    When you're sick and disable almost every morning you can wake up as a grumpy ****
    Basiclee, I still haven't come to terms with this being me, this being my future. I don't think I ever will. I'm sick to death of stupid pain clinics and the crap they spout. "No you cannot have my drugs, I don't care what your belief is, I know I will be in a wheelchair. I am not going there permanently because you think you're right!!" I'm sick of consultants who I've noticed don't even bother to examine me anymore, so why I'm there I don't actually know!!! As to the point of this question. Yes there are fakers, but they should be easily picked out by day to day MEDICAL staff (if they where allowed an opinion)!!!! Not the halfwits that degrade disabled people. The government have a lot to answer for, They want us working, institutionalised or dead. I fear for our futures. I've no rich family to keep me unlike them!
    I stopped discussing my disabilities with ‘friends’ because a few weeks later they had incorporated my symptoms despite having completely unrelated problems. It’s lonely nowadays, when people want problems for PIP forms. Be careful what you wish for, your health is yiur wealth!
    hi,downbutnotout,  you sound like me, im in a wheelchair, been told nothing they can do, they gave me a wheelchair then a month ago gave me electric wheelchair, its like ive been tossed aside, my appointment for the pain clinic is on the 26th sep,waited 6months for that, dont no what to expect, im crying every day, cant except that im in a wheelchar, im still in shock, i thought i would have an operation , well thats what i was led to belive, cant do much, my experance out in a wheelchair has been not nice,people talking over me, for me, about me, when im sitting there, unbeliveable, im starting to get very depressed, dont no where to turn,when the surgen told me wait for the MRI scan results we will beable to do something, then when i go for them shown an xray, told this is dadada  as if i can understand an xray,told nothing can be done i put you down to see the pain clinic,can you help me out, what happens at a pain clinic?
    Hi nanof6 when I went to a pain clinic years ago for back ache it was a waste of time all they done was spout waffle no one told me I had arthritis in my back so I just suffer in silence I know things have changed over the years so good luck
    edited September 2016
    Hey @nanof6
    I'd encourage you to talk to your GP about how you've been feeling.  They might be able to refer you for some counselling - lots of people find that very useful for coming to terms with big changes.  
    People's attitudes can totally suck.  I'm sorry you've had to experience such ignorance and rudeness.  Scope has a bunch of blogs written by disabled people about their experiences of being wheelchair users.  Some interesting stories on there.  Have a flick through:   https://blog.scope.org.uk/tag/wheelchair/ 

They also do a big campaign every year called 'End the Awkward' which aims to address the awkwardness some people feel about disability.  Last year they did six short films with Channel 4, they are pretty funny and poke fun at non-disabled people being ridiculous about disability.  Not sure what they have lined up for this year yet, keep an eye out!

re: pain clinics (<--that link has some more info on it) they vary, but usually offer a variety of treatments aimed at relieving long term pain, such as painkilling drugs; injections, hypnotherapy and acupuncture.

-B x

Nanof6, my experience of the pain clinic yesterday has jaded me a bit. Previously they have been great, full of information and they can point you towards support groups locally, it helps to be in one of the group settings as well as you will be with people who understand how you feel as in our lives we generally don't know many people who get this crap. Yesterday was the pain management programme I've waited a year on, the psychologist was great, then I seen the physio and she wanted to send me home, adamant about sending me home!! I was getting cross because I was supposed to have a one on one with the the occ therapist. The physio went so far as to have a private chat with the occ ther, who thankfully wanted to see me (but wouldn't explain why the physio behaved as such). They've arranged for me to be seen closer to home as I travelled 40 miles! 

Look ok at the positives, I know it's not easy but you are not completely bed bound, I'm a great believer in there's always someone worse off than ourselves. So when you feel like crying at being in the wheelchair remember you have wheels. I know it sucks that no one gives you answers, it's literally driving me insane. But persevere, have a list of questions before any appointment and talk over the doctor if you have to, and jot down the response. We are the only person who will fight for us, since I've become more proactive I've stopped feeling down everyday, I still feel rock bottom but I get days where I know I've won where I compare and collate information and with Google I have an answer! Keep your head held high, and if you are talked over feel free to announce "I am here you know" and then snigger
    thankyou all for getting back to me, its just by luck i found the replys,im new to this , i had an email so looked on this sight, couldnt find anything till now, how do i go to a reply, if i get one, is there a quick way?downbutnotout and nickp and bethslade thankyou for the reply.
  • Chris_ScopeChris_Scope Member Posts: 695 Pioneering
    Hi @nanof6 - if you scroll to the top of the screen you should see your profile picture in the top right - click on this and it will take you to your profile page. Then click on the small person icon to the right of your user name and select 'edit profile'. On the new screen that comes up, select the 'notification preferences' from the list on the right - this will bring up a new screen that will allow you to choose how and when you recieve notifications. To be notified when people comment on a thread such as this one, you can click the check mark next to 'notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in', to choose whether to receive notifications by email or as popup on your screen when you're on the community. When done, make sure you click the 'save preferences button at the bottom.

Sounds long-winded but it's actually really simple, and if you have any trouble just let me know.
Sign in or join us to comment.