HATE people who fake a disability????!!!! Who else agrees and how can we stop them???? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HATE people who fake a disability????!!!! Who else agrees and how can we stop them????

Comments

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    i agree, to save my husband getting the ramp down from the car to get me out to shop in tescos, (we only needed 2 items) i sat in the car park watching people put up blue badge, walking very well to the entrance,muddy dogs in the steamed up car, must of been for a good run, when this lady came back she unloaded 4 bags with ease skipted to push the trolly back , drove off.if i worked for the council, who give the blue badge i would put them in dis car park, in supermarkets ect, they would see what i see, they would save on giveing out the blue badges and help more with people who are genuin,she must of ran around tescos cos my husband was not back.
  • nickp
    nickp Community member Posts: 18 Listener

nanof6

That's ok you rant all you want it beggars belief that there are scroungers who abuse the system maybe we all should have id cards that explains our disabilities so we can sort out fact from fiction.

Nickp

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    edited September 2016
  • daz1
    daz1 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    You can still walk & have a Blue Badge. I have on but I can walk (not very far). I can walk around Tesco's.
  • daz1
    You can still walk & have a Blue Badge. I have hemiplegic CP. I have a Blue Badge but I can walk (not very far). I can walk around Tesco's. Your making me feel guilty for having a Blue Badge & being able to walk.
  • galvin66
    galvin66 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hey daz1, I hope it was not me that made you feel guilty for walking round Tescos, I would never have intentionally hurt anyone...... I don't think I did, but soooo sorry if it was me!!!!
    I would really like to understand your disability, is it your eyes? I am really bad at medical names, sos...... Take care galvin66
  • daz1
    Hi hemiplegia is similar to cerebral palsy but
    only affects one side of the body. Usually caused by serious brain injury at birth or soon after. Doesn't affect my eyes although I am very short sighted & have epilepsy. Walk with a severe limp. My left arm & left leg are two thirds the size of my right arm.
  • galvin66
    Thanks daz1, gosh I really did not know......... My disability mainly affects my left hand side, walking is a problem, yet I am really stubborn. After I had a hit and run at 6 years old, I don't really remember much pre accident, (the quacks say after being in a coma for 3 weeks, some memories can disappear??!!?!) So now I am 50, I am proud that my crutches hold me up most day, however "I named my wheelchair Mr Zoom", crazy old woman hey??!! I do use laughter therapy to get me thru the stressful times I have faced from some idiotic people who don't think a 19 year old should have a blue badge, or after my first operation, when I got my first wheel chair and some folk talking to me like I was mentally challenged.  I was seeing many different therapists during my 20's, and the only one that helped was a great guy that made me laugh during my sessions....... I started writing a diary!!!!!  I still write in one every day, maybe that's my way of coping..... I kind of hope me telling you how I became disabled kind make us start to understand each of our disabilities 
  • basiclee08
    basiclee08 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    I  am recently Disabled and can't get my head around someone wanting to fake being disabled. But I bet there are some. I wouldn't Hate them but more Pity them to stoop to do such a thing. Took me a while to come to terms being Disabled and All the Hoops I had to do to claim a Pittance. Besides big life style Changes we have to make. I have been lucky with family and friends supporting me in my transition and a great community  to call on For advice when I need it. 
  • galvin66
    Hi basiclee08......... I am with you about the fake disability, but the system is now so tight hardly any get DLA/PIP awards.  Doctors/Consultants evidence is require plus an assessment.  When I worked at the CAB (over 7 years ago) it was hard back then and that was just DLA rules....... Now with PIP, which I know nothing about, I am returning this month to the Uk after seven years of living in Switzerland.  I don't know what happened back on August 17, but if I can help I'm hear??!!

• basiclee08
    I  was lucky my consultants and doctors helped me otherwise I hadn't a clue what to do or claim for. It is Interesting slightly disheartening to see they are now moving goal posts continually to claim PIP. I  feel for those losing cars and left with nothing saying fit for work when Obviously Not. System is so out of touch now seems not fit for purpose. Thank you for offer of help will keep that in mind. 
  • nickp
    I agree on that one BethSlade took me a while to accept being brain damaged with short term memory loss due  to a brain op .Maybe the government will issue us with id cards with our picture on kike a blue badge shows were not fakers I did say Fakers xx
  • daz1

I really don't like the idea of carrying an ID card to prove I'm disabled. A person with a hidden impairment may not like the idea of having to show people that they are disabled. Some just want to live a normal life as possible without having to prove that they are different even though they don't look any different.

• Downbutnotout
    Downbutnotout Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I worked in a GP surgery for a number of years, it was obvious to us who's dla was up for renewal because all of a sudden they started to go off the rails, we had to deal with family members crying and screaming down the phone that the person was sucidal, this went on over a number of months until the person was sectioned. Then low and behold the form came into the surgery. On nights out we would meet these people with their mates and the rest of the time apart from social service involvement, they led a normal life. There where also people who despite there being nothing majorly physically wrong, used to verbally abuse us until they seen a doctor as they knew the more visits the better it looked on appeal. There are people who play the system, but what can be done? They know what to do to get around it. 

Now I'm totally fraggled, disc lay too long on lower back nerves, I can walk short distances in a lot of pain, morphine, gabapentin and 13 other medications keep me outta that wheelchair. But everyday is a step closer.

Blue Badge! I'm a young looking 38 and because I can walk/limp/hobble lean on my sons, I get awful looks for using disabled bays from older people!!!! Quite a lot of whom don't even have a badge in the window!! 
    I stopped discussing my disabilities with ‘friends’ because a few weeks later they had incorporated my symptoms despite having completely unrelated problems. It’s lonely nowadays, when people want problems for PIP forms. Be careful what you wish for, your health is yiur wealth!
  • galvin66
    Hi Downbutnotout, I totally understand the awful looks from older people..... I first got my blue badge when I was 32 years old...... I had been very reluctant applying for DLA, but my doctor pushed me to apply because I was pretty much house bound and found it difficult to walk far distance, the blue badge was like opening so many doors for me..... It was fantastic but initially I would explain my condition to the older people but now I just ignore them, not worth me getting upset ..... Keep smiling Downbutnotout, you are amazing for just getting out of your home, well done
  • basiclee08
    I  think for me I Struggled to come to Terms with the word let alone  my condition. I  think our system to assess is broken and we need one that can grasp people's conditions some people can walk what assessor's don't see is one the pain an tablets they take to do so or the time and pain to recover!. Wish you well Downbutnotout and hopefully we get a system that can assess and Be  more Humane. 
  • nickp
    Ye I agree basiclee08 what the people at PIP need is someone classed as disabled to show them what life and their condition is like day in  day out a car goes round my area and has a sticker which reads Not all disabilities are visible for me I never imagined I would end up with a brain tumour now brain damaged with short term memory loss as I was always fit concentration was brilliant .I was iN MOD Security for 8 years two in private now unemployable and to cash in a private pension my G.P Has very kindly written me off .So I do an afternoon at a hospice charity shop.Im going to anN.H.S run recovery college to learn about personality disorders yet sometimes because of my mental health problems I can wake up a grumpy **** through no fault of my own.
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    When you're sick and disable almost every morning you can wake up as a grumpy ****
  • Downbutnotout
    Downbutnotout Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Basiclee, I still haven't come to terms with this being me, this being my future. I don't think I ever will. I'm sick to death of stupid pain clinics and the **** they spout. "No you cannot have my drugs, I don't care what your belief is, I know I will be in a wheelchair. I am not going there permanently because you think you're right!!" I'm sick of consultants who I've noticed don't even bother to examine me anymore, so why I'm there I don't actually know!!! As to the point of this question. Yes there are fakers, but they should be easily picked out by day to day MEDICAL staff (if they where allowed an opinion)!!!! Not the halfwits that degrade disabled people. The government have a lot to answer for, They want us working, institutionalised or dead. I fear for our futures. I've no rich family to keep me unlike them!
    I stopped discussing my disabilities with ‘friends’ because a few weeks later they had incorporated my symptoms despite having completely unrelated problems. It’s lonely nowadays, when people want problems for PIP forms. Be careful what you wish for, your health is yiur wealth!

Brightness