HATE people who fake a disability????!!!! Who else agrees and how can we stop them???? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HATE people who fake a disability????!!!! Who else agrees and how can we stop them????

Options
13»

Comments

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    hi,downbutnotout,  you sound like me, im in a wheelchair, been told nothing they can do, they gave me a wheelchair then a month ago gave me electric wheelchair, its like ive been tossed aside, my appointment for the pain clinic is on the 26th sep,waited 6months for that, dont no what to expect, im crying every day, cant except that im in a wheelchar, im still in shock, i thought i would have an operation , well thats what i was led to belive, cant do much, my experance out in a wheelchair has been not nice,people talking over me, for me, about me, when im sitting there, unbeliveable, im starting to get very depressed, dont no where to turn,when the surgen told me wait for the MRI scan results we will beable to do something, then when i go for them shown an xray, told this is dadada  as if i can understand an xray,told nothing can be done i put you down to see the pain clinic,can you help me out, what happens at a pain clinic?
  • nickp
    nickp Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    Hi nanof6 when I went to a pain clinic years ago for back ache it was a waste of time all they done was spout waffle no one told me I had arthritis in my back so I just suffer in silence I know things have changed over the years so good luck
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey @nanof6
    I'd encourage you to talk to your GP about how you've been feeling.  They might be able to refer you for some counselling - lots of people find that very useful for coming to terms with big changes.  
    People's attitudes can totally suck.  I'm sorry you've had to experience such ignorance and rudeness.  Scope has a bunch of blogs written by disabled people about their experiences of being wheelchair users.  Some interesting stories on there.  Have a flick through:   https://blog.scope.org.uk/tag/wheelchair/ 

They also do a big campaign every year called 'End the Awkward' which aims to address the awkwardness some people feel about disability.  Last year they did six short films with Channel 4, they are pretty funny and poke fun at non-disabled people being ridiculous about disability.  Not sure what they have lined up for this year yet, keep an eye out!

re: pain clinics (<--that link has some more info on it) they vary, but usually offer a variety of treatments aimed at relieving long term pain, such as painkilling drugs; injections, hypnotherapy and acupuncture.

-B x

• Downbutnotout
    Downbutnotout Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Nanof6, my experience of the pain clinic yesterday has jaded me a bit. Previously they have been great, full of information and they can point you towards support groups locally, it helps to be in one of the group settings as well as you will be with people who understand how you feel as in our lives we generally don't know many people who get this ****. Yesterday was the pain management programme I've waited a year on, the psychologist was great, then I seen the physio and she wanted to send me home, adamant about sending me home!! I was getting cross because I was supposed to have a one on one with the the occ therapist. The physio went so far as to have a private chat with the occ ther, who thankfully wanted to see me (but wouldn't explain why the physio behaved as such). They've arranged for me to be seen closer to home as I travelled 40 miles! 

Look ok at the positives, I know it's not easy but you are not completely bed bound, I'm a great believer in there's always someone worse off than ourselves. So when you feel like crying at being in the wheelchair remember you have wheels. I know it sucks that no one gives you answers, it's literally driving me insane. But persevere, have a list of questions before any appointment and talk over the doctor if you have to, and jot down the response. We are the only person who will fight for us, since I've become more proactive I've stopped feeling down everyday, I still feel rock bottom but I get days where I know I've won where I compare and collate information and with Google I have an answer! Keep your head held high, and if you are talked over feel free to announce "I am here you know" and then snigger
    I stopped discussing my disabilities with ‘friends’ because a few weeks later they had incorporated my symptoms despite having completely unrelated problems. It’s lonely nowadays, when people want problems for PIP forms. Be careful what you wish for, your health is yiur wealth!
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    thankyou all for getting back to me, its just by luck i found the replys,im new to this , i had an email so looked on this sight, couldnt find anything till now, how do i go to a reply, if i get one, is there a quick way?downbutnotout and nickp and bethslade thankyou for the reply.
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @nanof6 - if you scroll to the top of the screen you should see your profile picture in the top right - click on this and it will take you to your profile page. Then click on the small person icon to the right of your user name and select 'edit profile'. On the new screen that comes up, select the 'notification preferences' from the list on the right - this will bring up a new screen that will allow you to choose how and when you recieve notifications. To be notified when people comment on a thread such as this one, you can click the check mark next to 'notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in', to choose whether to receive notifications by email or as popup on your screen when you're on the community. When done, make sure you click the 'save preferences button at the bottom.

Sounds long-winded but it's actually really simple, and if you have any trouble just let me know.

Brightness