Housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing

Options
kj1892
kj1892 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
Hi everyone I know it’s late but can’t sleep stressing out
anyway got a 14 year old daughter 4 year old daughter and a 3 year old boy the two youngest are sharing now my 14 year old has had a really difficult past few years (a situation involving a male family member who is a couple of years older) and needs her space my 4 year old is in school and as proper restless nights which wakes my boy up then there awake half the night so she’s going to school really tired now I can’t make the two girls share because of the situation and age difference but eventually the two girls will have to 
so does anyone know if there’s a way I could go about getting a 4 bed know rather than later and not have to go through this stress 
thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In a previous thread back in October you said you’d been offered a 2 bed flat from social housing. Is that where you’re living now? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 322 Pioneering
    edited January 22
    Options
    Currently the social housing and/or the benefits system isn't going to pay for or offer you a 4 bed property I'm afraid.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/how_many_bedrooms_you_can_claim_benefits_for

Given the age gap between your daughters it's quite possible your oldest daughter might leave home before they have to share, so while I appreciate you are struggling now maybe the future is not so bad. 

Is it possible to look at changing the bedroom routine to help the two youngest have a better nights sleep? 
  • kj1892
    Options
    Hi thanks for your reply no this situation is my ex and my my kids I’m trying to obtain information on what options if any 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have to agree with kimmy here if it’s social housing then it’s very unlikely that they will agree to a 4 bed property. She would only be entitled to 3 bed. 

For privately renting she could have a 4 bed but would only be entitled to 3 bedroom rate if claiming for help with the rent. Whether she would be able to find a landlord is a whole other story. She would also be responsible for paying the shortfall of rent. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kj1892
    Options
    Rrr ok thanks for your reply i thought as much 

Brightness