How can I get a mobility scooter on the NHS? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I get a mobility scooter on the NHS?

Majago
Majago Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2016 in Start here and say hello!
Hi, I have had a back injury at work in sept 2014 and was made redundant in August 2015. Since then have been told I have got Arthritis in both knees and a very high blood pressure. The pain in the back causes shaking, pins and needles and loose feeling in fingers. I have been told by DWP I need mobility scooter as I use rollator and have difficulty with. No one will tell me how to get one on NHS. Can you help?

Comments

• nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    hi, Majago, why dont you try your OT, Ocupatinal therapist,to put you on the right track hope that helps
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Majago,

Another option would be to check if you can lease a scooter via the motability scheme. You'd need to be getting either DLA (disability living allowance) mobility component at the higher rate, or the enhanced motability component of PIP.

You pay for the lease of the scooter by giving Motability part of your mobility component (they state that most of their scooters cost less to lease than the value of the weekly component). There is a non-refundable payment for most leasing agreements which they state is £100.

You can find out more about the Motability scheme here.

It is a leasing system (the scooter has to go back at the end of the lease) which has pros and cons but worth considering if you are on a qualifying benefit.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness