Need help - Caring for friend who has complex mental health issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need help - Caring for friend who has complex mental health issues

eco8lcy
eco8lcy Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Joining this  community because I need help with a complex mental health friend whose care and welfare has recently devolved on me. Problem began after a missed PIP assessment resulted in loss of benefits after almost a year the matter remains unresolved.  Without this support and care to live independently became unaffordable and I have been trying to supply this.  However, of late  suicide has become a game player and this coupled with paranoia (mistrust of society) has increased the stress and isolation.  I am hoping there are  others in similar situations here who can share their own experiences.  

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @Eco8lcy, welcome to the community, and I'm sure there are plenty of our community members who can share their advice and experiences with you.

As you mention immediate mental health needs I would advise contacting mental health charity Mind on their 0300 123 3393 helpline (local call rates apply), and taking a look at their very informative pages on 'Helping someone else'

I would also recommend calling Scope's free helpline on 0808 800 3333 for guidance on benefits and independent living. I hope this helps, and that you are able to help your friend get the support they need.
  • eco8lcy
    eco8lcy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for advice Chris will check these out My friend is very suicidal at the moment and this is affecting me I try to stay upbeat because I notice when I show concern or appear worried this increases their negativity.  However nonchalance is difficult to maintain when one is worried.   
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    If your friend is suicidal I would advise that you call Mind immediately as they are better positioned to guide you as to what steps you can take. I would say that this is the immediate concern and needs to be addressed without delay - once your friend's suicidal feelings have been dealt with, the underlying causes relating to benefits and other issues can be addressed at a later date, and this is something that Scope will be able to support with.

I'm also going to tag in @Debbie_Scope from the helpline in case they have anything to add.

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited July 2017
    Hello @eco8lcy

I'd like to have a chat with you if that's ok? Are you able to email helpline@scope.org.uk with your number (and user name so we can identify you) and we can arrange to call you and talk things through.

Many thanks
    Debbie

Brightness