Diabetes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Diabetes

LDBWILLI
LDBWILLI Community member Posts: 22 Connected
I've just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and Im devastated the gp has put me on metformin but not sure where to go from here

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi

Maybe Diabetes UK could advise:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Ajk110
    Ajk110 Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    And diabetes.co.uk as well which I think also has some very good resources. Type 2 diabetes is potentially serious if you don't manage it properly, but to be honest if you take your medication, follow the standard recommendations for healthy diet and check your blood sugar each day you'll be absolutely fine.
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    A few years back I was diagnosed with MS and at the same time I was also diagnosed with diabetes. I was really devastated. I was a really fat guy. I mean I was really overweight. My doctor put me on Metformin and Glimmerpride(not sure if I spelled that right). I really hated testing my blood sugar. I followed a really strict diabetic diet. 3 months I was taking off Glimmer Pride. Three months after that I was taken off metformin. 6 months later they took diabetes off my health chart. I just took an A1C test and my score was 4.67. That's not even considered pre-diabetic. When I see a new doctor and inform them I'm a diabetic they say no you're not. They don't even test my A1C anymore. So, don't let diabetes get you down you can beat it as long as you follow diet. It's not too tough but really isn't.
  • LDBWILLI
    Hi Bam that sounds so incouraging I'm on a station now and very mindful of the sugar and salt intake on all my food.

ldbwilli
  • LDBWILLI
    Statin it should of said !!!!!!
  • LDBWILLI
    Thanks Jean_M and Ajik 110 for the useful advice

ldbwilli
  • bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    I got to the point that I was spending 45 minutes at the grocery store just looking at the nutritional panel on the back at the sugars. It makes me feel really good every time I see a new doctor and I say I'm a diabetic and they look at my test results and say no you're not. You just can't let it get out of control because it will just get worse and worse and worse. I'm telling you when I found out I was a diabetic I weighed  320 pounds. I'm now down to 200 pounds and it feels really really good. I'm telling you if I could do it it's possible for anyone to do it. Don't become one of those people who just don't anything at all and just become insulin-dependent the rest your life. Good luck to you and if you remember keep me up to date. I like to see how your diabetes is going. If you have any questions about my diabetic diet or about diabetes in general feel free to ask me. I really live the diabetic life. The diet really isn't that bad. They told me when I was a diabetic I could as much green as I wanted to. So I had a lot salad with grilled chicken.
  • LDBWILLI
    Hi regarding my diabetes , I take my metformin and statin every day but haven't been asked to test my blood sugars I wonder why ?

Brightness