Looking for other parents who have experienced this in their child — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for other parents who have experienced this in their child

nadine70
nadine70 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited October 2016 in Autism and neurodiversity
My son has dyslexia and as a youngster had a condition called pica. After reading an article on pica it stated it could lead to autism. Something I've thought for a long time .however when I've taken him to doctors they basically say he's  normal in he's behaviour but I see him different. He is 13 but quite immature .he's also very loving one day an can be very hurtful the next day .us ally always aimed at me .is there anybody who has experienced  this in there child

Comments

• abstractLucas
    abstractLucas Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Hi @nadine70
    My understanding of the link between pica and autism was that pica (compulsively eating things that are not food - stones, grass etc) is a condition that is sometimes diagnosed in people who are also diagnosed with autism, not that pica turns into autism exactly.  I have an ordinary mainstream-schooled 13 year old son who is also quite immature, has difficulty making friends and can be very changeable in the way he behaves - again, usually aimed at me - he can get very angry over nothing.  I know that every child is different but lots of young teens can be like this!  Maybe if doctors don't seem to be listening to you though you could talk to his school, and ask them what they think?
    I hope things improve soon for you - I know how upsetting it is to be on the receiving end of hurtful angry comments and behaviour from your child.
    Lucas
  • nadine70
    Thankyou sound very similar  in many ways I will seek advice again and hope for an outcome 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yiman60
    Yiman60 Community member Posts: 95 Connected
    edited October 2016
    nadine70 said:
    My son has dyslexia and as a youngster had a condition called pica. After reading an article on pica it stated it could lead to autism. Something I've thought for a long time .however when I've taken him to doctors they basically say he's  normal in he's behaviour but I see him different. He is 13 but quite immature .he's also very loving one day an can be very hurtful the next day .us ally always aimed at me .is there anybody who has experienced  this in there child
    Hi,
    As your son already has been diagnosed with a co Morbid issue relating to Autism Spectrum, Dyslexia  I would certainly follow this up. My sons were late diagnosis Asbergers , now trying to get a diagnosis of Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome. PDA is a rare syndrome , look on the PDA Society website, there is a questionairre , see if it rings any bells.
    i suggest you read The Reason I Jump. It's a easy to read book about a young man , non vocal who explains what it's like to be Autistic. One of the best sites I have come across is PlanetAutism FB page, lots of articles about ,eating , sleeping, homework, the pressure cooker effect, keeping it bottled in all day and then exploding at home. Each case is unique, it's like a fingerprint.
    There is also a blog page with information sheets, very informative about wrong diagnosis, parents being ignored and not listened too what are the associated issues, e.g. SPD , ADD etc.
    Most important thing is a family history. Go back to grandparents, who has what, e.g. Co Morbid issues, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, dyscalculia, Epilepsy , Tourette's etc. 
    Do your research well and it's easier to make the diagnosis.
    You can ask for an assesment of your and your sons needs . Check online for your nearest Carers and they will help you. Hopefully you might be entitled to extra support and respite.
    As for school and what you are entitled to this is England.
    Its Enquire in Scotland.
    https://www.ipsea.org.uk/
    Good Luck xx
  • Yiman60
  • nadine70
  • Yiman60
    nadine70 said:
    Thankyou xx
    No problem. It getting that one person to believe you. 
    Hope you get the support and answers soon. xx
  • nadine70
    I do hope so it is exhausting work when you as a parent know the answer but nobody will follow suit and help with proper diagnosis xx
  • Yiman60
    edited October 2016
    nadine70 said:
    I do hope so it is exhausting work when you as a parent know the answer but nobody will follow suit and help with proper diagnosis xx
    Oh don't I know it. If I had known now about the issues in Autism Spectrum mine would have been diagnosed at 3 and 5 instead of 17 and 18 and it's still ongoing at 18 and 20. I worked out 5 out of 6 issues between the boys. CAMHS diagnosed one of the issues which took over a year. Utterly clueless. That's being Polite about it. 

Fortunatly I have a GP who has battled for years with me to get a diagnosis for my boys. 

http://www.pdasociety.org.uk/what-is-PDA

http://www.smarttalkersblog.com/2016/06/the-delayed-effect-of-anxiety-on.html?m=1

http://evolutian.wixsite.com/planetautism/infofactsheets

Have a read of these I mentioned before. xx

• nadine70
    Thankyou will go back to the doctors and the schools and get the help he is needed ..struggles with school work.only interested in films but very intelligent when watching them .can't keep a friend for too long as he falls out quickly  ...all explained over an over again  .I simply got know what they want me to say to get a reaction xx
  • Yiman60
    edited October 2016
    nadine70 said:
    Thankyou will go back to the doctors and the schools and get the help he is needed ..struggles with school work.only interested in films but very intelligent when watching them .can't keep a friend for too long as he falls out quickly  ...all explained over an over again  .I simply got know what they want me to say to get a reaction xx
    http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyslexic/dyscalculia

See if any any of these issues ring a bell. A lot of the issues overlap.

First of all get the school to do an assesment of his needs. Make sure you keep,a list of the problems, video evidence if possible. Explain about the masking till he gets home from school

You normally do find there is a subject that they are really good at, like a mini professor. The difficulty in keeping friends , another clue.

Go to GP and ask for a referral to CAMHS. If you look on PlanetAutisms blog page there is a link to UK rights. Scroll down to children , it explains there.

Then look up your local Carers group and get an assesment of your needs.

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/carers-assessment?gclid=Cj0KEQjwg8i_BRCT9dHt5ZSGi90BEiQAItdjpG8X3jw7rUh64x-oNctCeDoMKZ8u2HbUBu4RJn_hvTYaArjR8P8HAQ

If necessary get your local MSP involved , they get paid enough.

I believe you 100% . xx
  • nadine70
    Thankyou so much will do my calls tomorrow and hopefully get the answers I want and get him the help needed to help him move forward .will keep you In formed on my progress xx
  • nadine70
    The article you read about Pica leading to autism is probably wrong. Autism is a developmental disability people are born with, I have a mild form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome myself. To learn how to understand myself I had to read a lot about autism.
    If symptoms of autism haven't began developing by the age of 4 it's unlikely the individual has autism. Autism varies between everyone but all of us with autism have 3 main difficulties in common referred to as The Triad of Impairments, 1) Social Communication 2) Social Interaction 3) Social Imagination.
    If your son doesn't have all 3 difficulties he's unlikely autistic.
    His immature behaviour could be caused by either being badly influenced by other people or by another disability or health disorder besides autism.
    Thankyou this has helped me to seek further help into why he's behaviour is as it is 
  • Yiman60
    nadine70 said:
    Thankyou so much will do my calls tomorrow and hopefully get the answers I want and get him the help needed to help him move forward .will keep you In formed on my progress xx
    Make sure you keep a paper trail and diary . That way you can make sure they keep their promises. You have to keep nagging  .

It will pay off I promise xx

• nadine70
    I will invest in a note book and keep track thankyou xx
  • Yiman60

Brightness