help to find job — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

help to find job

Options
sukkam
sukkam Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hello

My daughter is 25 years old and she is a wheelchair user and suffer from cerebral palsy since birth,  she have a degree in Geography and have been working a part-time as a library assistance for 3 years and she have been trying to get a administration job, but really stuggling and getting nowhere, is there anywhere there is a help to see where to look and applied for jobs.  Many thanks

Comments

• Judomandean
    Judomandean Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    Hi,  I also have cerebral palsy and worked for many happy years as an accountant for Luton Borough Council.  The way I initially got the post was under what is known as "The Sheltered Placement Scheme."  how it works is this : apply for jobs in the usual way and on your form/interview tell the company that because of your disability that the COMPANY may be able to employ you under the SHELTER PLACEMENT SCHEME.  Whereby the company get paid a percentage of your wages by the government and the disabled person gets the proper going rate for the job.  Most employees are initially accessed at being 50% as a "abled bodied employee" so the company claim 1/2  the pay back from the government.
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Options
    There are also some useful links for people looking for work at http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/work/jobseekers

Hope this helps, Alex

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.