Can we apply for ESA on daughter's behalf now? — Scope | Disability forum

Can we apply for ESA on daughter's behalf now?

philwill99 Member Posts: 1
My daughter is 17.  She is in a special school where she will remain until she is 19 years old.  It is hoped she will then go to a residential college full-time for 2-3 years.  Can we apply for ESA on her behalf NOW ?(bearing in mind we would then be giving up our entitlement to child benefit and our tax credits could be affected).  She is on the highest rate of PIP for mobility and care.


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi philwill99,

    Yes, your daughter can claim ESA in her own right now. She will need a medical certificate (‘fit note’) from her doctor and phone the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 055 6688 or download an ESA1 form from ESA can be backdated for up to 3 months if the medical certificate covers this period.

    As you say though, you will lose any child benefit and tax credits you get for her and this may be more than she gains in ESA so think carefully about this.

    Best wishes,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.