Anyone know if there are volunteers who can take people with cerebral palsy out? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone know if there are volunteers who can take people with cerebral palsy out?

Options
ruthemma68
ruthemma68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I am a carer for people with cerebral palsy in the worthing area. Does anyone know whether there's any volunteers willing to take people put for a few hours as social services have cut hours therefore meaning some adults aren't able to go out.
Thanks x

Comments

• Denny
    Denny Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options

Hi   I live in Somerset and think that you maybe you might be able to get on a Personal Assistant system.  This is where somebody will come to you for how many hours a week you want and do various things such housework, shopping, befriending, keeping people company while the carer takes a break, taking the disabled person out, etc. And as it's not under Social Services, you or are the person who you look after can ask the PA to do what you want them to do!   Trouble is you may have to pay.  I asked at an agency how much an hour it would cost and it was £16 per hour which soon mounts up and but you might be given a allowance towards that and age doesn't come into that.

Also, depending on age Somerset provides a 'Active Living' policy and people attend clubs for 3 to 4 hours, but bear in mind that's for mostly OPAs.  To be honest (I don't want to upset you) but Somerset doesn't do much for physically disabled after leaving education until they're 60. But it might be different for where you live. The Personal Assistant might help though.

Please let me how you get on?  Denny

Brightness