Disabled transport access in London — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled transport access in London

Options
LizRose
LizRose Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I live in North Wales,  I use a stick and my balance is not good enough for escalators. I had a knee replacement in January and both hips need doing.

Comments

• LizRose
    LizRose Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I don't visit central London very often,  but my son lives in Shepperton and I do have to go in occasionally.  My last trip was for my daughter in laws hen do on June 7 th for a Duck boat river trip from Waterloo and tea at a hotel in Soho. We travelled to Paddington from Didcot Parkway,  no lifts were working and I realised I couldn't manage the escalators.  We asked staff for help on getting to Waterloo without the escalators and were directed to the taxi ranks.  That day cost us £ 60 for 3 taxi fares. I wouldnt attempt it now again. My daughter travels into Paddington regularly and says she frequently meets people who ask her help.  i sincerely wish they would  train their staff. Frequent  visitors may find it easier than occasional visitors. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi @LizRose

The TfL website has a page on their website about accessibility and also appears to be updated when there are breakdowns of the lifts.

You can also call, email or write to them if you are planning a journey and need support.

Email addresstflaccessibility@tfl.gov.uk

Phone: 0343 222 1234
    Textphone: 0800 112 3456

TfL Customer Services

Address details

4th Floor
    14 Pier Walk
    London, SE10 0ES

A few weeks ago, I was asked to trial a badge with TfL for invisible disabilities, it simply stated 'please offer me a seat' - I trialled it on the tubes and was pleasantly surprised that I was offered a seat every time.  

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, if you head to London again, it might be worthwhile to contact them first so you can plan your visit with less stress for yourself.

Sam
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness