Will my son still get DLA now he's started work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my son still get DLA now he's started work?

Options
clare16
clare16 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi my son gets dla and he has started work and he has just had a letter and im concerned because with him working does he still get dla and i m wondering if he has to pay back an overpayment because everything is changing 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi clare16,

Your son can definitely get DLA and still work. There's no overpayment of DLA which could be caused by working, unless the work made the DWP think that he no longer met the care or mobility conditions. However, if your son is over 16, sooner or later he will be asked to claim PIP, which uses a different test, & he might have to go for a medical. If he gets PIP, he can still work.

The benefit most likely to be affected by your son working would be ESA (employment and support allowance), although it is possible to do 'permitted work' and still get ESA.

Finally if your son is 16 or over, works 16 hours or more and gets DLA he could apply for Working Tax Credit (WTC) too, depending on his income. In some areas WTC has been replaced by Universal Credit & the rules are different, so feel free to post back & tell us where your son lives.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• clare16
    clare16 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    cheers for the reply and and i know things are changing atm with benefits and i ve rung them to double check b4 i read this he s 21 and works in a store 16 hrs but because he s autistic he works on the till because he wasnt good at adapting to difference roles and he s happy that he s working and everythin routine xxx
  • Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    As long as you do not work more than 16 hours, you don't even have to notify the DWP.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.