Losing mobility car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Losing mobility car

Options
francesjosie
francesjosie Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello I am currently waiting a decision on weather my appeal has been overturned as I miss understood a question on the mobility part and I have been awarded standard mobility but I had the higher rate before and now the car has to go back I really don't know what I will do without it Iv had a mobility car for 16 years. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @francesjosie welcome to the community, can you appeal based on what you have said here that you misunderstood a question?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Llinos
    Llinos Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    This is what Im complaining about they send a nurse here and because of her I too have been awarded standard rate for mobility which means I loose the car,which is automatic and the 4th one Ive had .It will make me a prisoner in my own home.
  • InformationSupportWorker
    InformationSupportWorker Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options

Hello Frances

This is such an awful situation and others are appealing a similar decision. Have you been through the mandatory reconsideration and now at the appeal stage? Did you have any support in making the application? as sometimes it is easier to complete it with someone who has completed them before.

The Disability Rights UK have a good factsheet on challenging decisions that may be of some help http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/appeals-and-mandatory-reconsideration.

Hopefully you will get a positive decision once they have read through your answer to the question you miss understood - which is so easy to do. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

With best wishes

Vicky

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi francesjosie,

You do need to be in receipt of the enhanced mobility component to have a mobility car. In this situation, Motability should let you keep the car for 3 weeks from the date the enhanced mobility payments (or higher rate mobility component of DLA if you were getting that before) stopped. Have a chat with them about it and see what they can do.

It sounds like you've already started your challenge of the decision. The first step is asking for a 'mandatory reconsideration', as Vicky says. You can definitely explain that you misunderstood a question on the form (it's not that easy to understand). Be specific about which question and why you said what you said. Explain your mobility condition & any issues with frequency (if your condition is worse on some days than others).

You also mention the nurse that came to your home being part of the reason why you didn't get the enhance rate. So be specific about what happened there too and why you think the nurse's evidence is wrong, if that's relevant.

I also agree with Vicky that getting some help would probably be useful, especially if your mandatory reconsideration is refused and you decide to appeal. Try a Citizens Advice bureau - you can usually ring them & find out if they can come to your home.

I really hope you can get the car back, it obviously makes a massive difference in your life. Consider talking to your MP about all this too!

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.