Speech and language
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.


  • loretaloreta Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I would like to tell you my long story in short and maybe you can advice me what to do as I think my child gets non verbal and will gain many problems with education/job in future if left as it is.
    My son is 7 and he is in year2 class in mainstream primary school. He has selective mutism, that's my opinion he's not diagnosed with that yet by doctor, as well he has high functioning autism diagnosed in 2013. Problem with verbal communication started in late days of reception class. He has support teacher at shool which works with him for 2 years already. He has 1 session per week with speech and language therapiest now, which did not gave good results yet.His behavior much better now comparing with transition from nursery, he follows instructions and rules and very improved academically. He is very chatty boy at home/outside but not at school. He prefer to speak with close family members and a few friends from nursery which meets occasionally only. He doesn't speak with any other adults or kids and teachers at school neither grandparents. He nods his head or communicates by whiteboard  at school, he never ask for help he even never ask to go to the toilet and suffer in pain if teacher doesn't notice that... When someone ask him anything he doesn't reply and become stiff and turns away. ONLY speaks if I next to him and not direct to the person who talks with him.
     We had referred to CAMHS with the help of school's Senco from july this year had 2 meetings just to gather as much info about us, and no more meetings with them so far. Might be they still considering what to do with us..
    But all these days I just trying to help my child say a word to strangers but still no luck. Could you suggest anything?
    Thank you
  • Good evening Loreta, Apologies for the delay in replying to your post. My suggestion is to either personally refer your son to your local NHS Speech & Language Therapy department or to ask your SENCO to initiate this. Your concerns relate to his communication skills and his use of speech in different environments and as such I feel that Speech & Language Therapist working alongside a Clinical Psychologist would be the best combination. Very best, C
Sign in or join us to comment.