Hi, my name is j_riddle37! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is j_riddle37!

Options
j_riddle37
j_riddle37 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, I suffer with severe panic/Anxiety disorder, I rarely leave my house, and never leave unless someone is with me, I am constantly worrying and awake most nights ..all night looking on sites for tips to help, I have spent so much money I don't have on sites that promise to make you panic/anxiety free., I am on a lot of medication, I have a GP appointment on Friday, I know I wont be able to go,. Again, .rather than being sick again for the next 3 days I will cancel it tomorrow and instantly feel better knowing I do not have to leave my house, .but upset that I wont be able to see my GP !  I just need help/advice/tips please .;(

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @j_riddle37

Welcome to the community, and thank you for sharing with us. That's really tough, and I know there are no quick solutions. I hope we can provide some help and support.

There's lots of free advice online that you've probably seen. Mind's site is especially good.

It's not free (£30) - but Anxiety UK has a membership scheme for £30 which gives access to their infoline and chat service.

Is there someone that could support you to leave the house on Friday?

Or I wonder if there are any alternatives that might be better - for example near me there's a GP surgery which is completely drop-in so you can go when you feel able to (and there's no anticipation). Some GPs also offer phone calls or video chat.
  • j_riddle37
    Options
    Thank you for your help, I really can not afford to spend any more money, I have spent over £200 on panic sites etc...But I have rang my doctors today to cancel my appointment and they have arrange for my GP to call me, many thanks x
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @j_riddle37

Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year. How is everything going?
  • j_riddle37
    Options
    Hi Alex, Christmas was lovely thanks, hope you had a good Christmas too, Nothing much has changed, but I am doing ok at the moment, seem to be much more relaxed knowing I don't have to leave the house for a while, good excuse to use is its far to cold!! I did have a phone call from my GP,she increased my Trazadone but sleep is still not very good, My biggest worry is that this year I will be having a medical to see if I will be able to change over to PIP, I am on DLA for indefinite but had a letter over a year ago to say everyone must reapply for pip.. I know I can ask for a home visit,i am just so worried I wont explain properly and be refused then to appeal will be so stressful and make myself ill, Thank you for asking xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @j_riddle37 perhaps you can ask someone to be with you to fill out the forms and request a home visit for PIP?  

I was just reading the CAB advise on assessments and they say this:

Check with the assessment centre that it has everything you need (if it doesn’t, you can ask for it). This can help make you feel more comfortable on the day. For example:

• ask if you’ll have to go upstairs, and if there’s a lift that can accommodate a wheelchair if you need one
    • ask how roomy the centre is if you get anxious in enclosed spaces - if the rooms or corridors are small, tell them this could make you anxious and see what they can offer you
    • ask for an interpreter or signer if you need one - do this at least 2 working days before your assessment so they have time to organise it
    • ask for the person carrying out the assessment to be the same gender as you, if that’s important to you
    • ask if you can make an audio recording of the assessment - you must ask to do this before your assessment and ask the centre about the rules for using recording equipment 

Changing the venue

If the location of your assessment is more than 90 minutes away by public transport you may be offered an alternative location or home visit.

You might be offered a home visit instead of a having to go to an assessment centre, if your GP normally visits you in your home.

Does your GP visit you at home? That would go in your favour if you were requesting a home visit for the PIP assessment.  

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • j_riddle37
    Options
    Hi..Thank you for the help and advice...I think they will visit me at home as my anxiety is so bad I can not leave my house often, I am forever cancelling GP appointments as on the day I just can not go out, I don't ask my GP to visit as not much she can do if I cant leave my house, I am on so much medication for my anxiety.. sleep, high BP and meds for a mini stroke (Aspirin) etc. Many of my meds carry a warning ,.I am sure they affect the way my brain thinks. And I do have trouble explaining things..by rights according to my meds I should be asleep 24/7 ! I am waiting for my GP to call back today, I want to ask if I can increase some of my meds, many thanks again x
  • j_riddle37
    Options
    I suffer with panic attacks, so this is why I cant always leave my house, I think because last time I actually felt so unwell instead of asking for help I went to the ladies ,thinking if I just sat down I would be ok, however I must of passed out as the next minute I came too on the floor of the toilet cubicle ;(  But I got myself up and strangely felt much better, but left the shop and got in my car, without doing my shopping, I am worried this will happen again and this has a lot to do with why I don't like to go out, I over think everything and then cause my own stupid anxiety ! Sorry I do not explain things very well !
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It sounds really tough @j_riddle37 :(
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness