Really struggling - need help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Really struggling - need help

Options
MinkOwl
MinkOwl Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello.
Joined here to seek support and to grow my knowledge. I have multiple physical conditions causing impairment along with mental health challenges. My physical conditions have always been there but only diagnosed at 22 due to my mother. Really struggling to continue managing my part time job and to take care of myself. I spend my time either at work or resting at home. I do my best to care for my hamsters and they get fed probably better than me. I am trying to gain access to services/equipment/anything that will help me in life but face many challenges in this. Self-advocacy is a struggle due to MH issues. I know I need to find more soon as it's my rights and without them being respected I am losing the will to keep going.

Mink

Comments

• Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @MinkOwl, welcome to the community. I'm some of our community members will be along soon to offer some advice, and you may find it useful to call the free Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 (9-5 Mon-Fri). You can explore the different discussions taking place in the community on our categories page, and do post a question or share your experiences anywhere you feel relevant.

• Ajk110
    Ajk110 Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @MinkOwl, a couple of thoughts spring to mind. Have you spoken to your manager about using your work's occupational health service? Many employers now have one, which can help you find adjustments that can make work easier, whether it be equipment or changes in practice. It's worth finding out. There isn't an easy answer re. self-advocacy. It is a challenge, which can sometimes feel like an uphill slog. Mental health problems can further complicate this so you should also perhaps speak to your GP and see if you can be referred on to sources of support that way. You will find lots of support and other people struggling too here in this community. It's important to remember that you aren't going through this on your own. Use the Scope helpline too. Good luck.
  • OlliHannah
    OlliHannah Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options

Hi @MinkOwl

I'm really sorry to hear that things are so difficult for you at the moment.

I work for Scope as an Information & Advice Worker and am not sure what area you live in but wonder whether you have tried contacting your local Social Services department to explain your situation and ask for an assessment to see if they can help with some support, many via Direct Payments?

I'm sure that other community members will be able to come up with some useful suggestions so good luck with everything and let us know how you get on

Olli

Brightness