Can I claim carers allowance and work 15 hours a week? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I claim carers allowance and work 15 hours a week?

Options
bluepeter27
bluepeter27 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I am a 60yr old looking after my husband (61) who had multiple pulmonary embolisms and lung/heart problems.  We recently sold our house because he could not work anymore and I could not afford it on just my wages.  We bought a mobile home paid our debts and now live hand to mouth each month.  Husband unstable and needs more care so had to stop full time work and go part time but it is hard making ends meet.  He does receive PIP and NI related benefit.  I need to know if I can claim Carers Allowance if I work 15 hours a week?  

Comments

• bluepeter27
    bluepeter27 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    He does receive PIP and NI related benefit.  I need to know if I can claim Carers Allowance if I work 15 hours a week?  
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi bluepeter27,

You may be able to claim carers allowance but your husband needs to be getting the daily living component of PIP.

If he does then you need to be earning less than £110 per week from your job. If you earn more than this it might be worth thinking about reducing your hours so you earn under this. 

If if you are awarded carers allowance you may be able to claim income support for both of you to top up your income.

Please post back if you have any more questions.

best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.