Frightened of PIP assessment, on disability care but need more help. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Frightened of PIP assessment, on disability care but need more help.

Options
SandyW
SandyW Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I need advice... nearly 10 years ago I was awarded the lower Disability Care Allowance. Over the years I have got worse and have a fused fracture of spine, osteoarthritus, painful knees, IBS, Diabetes 2, Aura Migraines, Memory issues, of which I am been tested for and PTSD. I am frightened to report these issues and ask for a higher rate of Disability in case an application leads to me having a PIP accessement. I am 63 years old and am self employed but feel I cannot cope anymore. 
I desperately need a mobilty scooter too. Can anyone here advise me what to do please? Thank you for your patience.

Comments

• bam
    bam Community member Posts: 326 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello@SandyW my name is bam I'm really sorry to hear about your health problems. In the category list you'll find a benefit adviser who could definitely help you and give you some advice on how to get a mobility scooter. I need a Mobility Scooter too but I live in the United States where it's a little more difficult to get one. Good luck and I hope you feel better
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SandyW welcome to the community.  I have moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor category. 

We have a benefits calculator on the website where you can fill it in to see what benefits you could be entitled to, or there is a PIP self test you can do to see if you could be eligible.

I understand your concerns, but know that you arent alone.  There are lots of members here who have gone through the PIP process and connecting with them might help you feel more supported, so do have a look around and get involved.  I look forward to chatting with you.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Remember, @SandyW, when you do have to apply for PIP at some stage, it is not your diagnoses themselves that carry weight but your ability to carry out certain essential daily tasks and to walk outdoors, i.e. the disabling effect your medical conditions have.
  • SandyW
    Options
    Thank you Matilda :)
  • SandyW
    Options
    Thank you Bam and Sam-Scope :) 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hello

It sounds like you have a lot of difficulties that go beyond the award of benefit that you currently have. 

Unfortunately as most DLA claimants will be asked to claim PIP, it maybe that you will have to go through a PIP assessment when you transfer from DLA to PIP.  So, it is whether you want to wait for PIP to contact you, or start the process off now by contacting DLA about your worsening health.  The Scope website has some really useful information about PIP and as Sam said there is also a PIP self-test.

It does sound like there is a lot going on.  You mention that you are self-employed and that you cannot cope.  Are you thinking of stopping your self-employment or reducing your hours of work? I ask as it maybe that you could claim Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), which is for people who are unable to work.

Kind Regards

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.