PIP assessment help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment help

Options
valerie
valerie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi am married with 3 children 8 grandchildren and one great grandson I am 59 yes old and have C.O.P.D and spondalitis .arthritis and diverticular disease I have just applied for pip and have to have an interview medical assesment .any one else gone through this process x

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @valerie welcome to the community!

You will find lots of experiences of applying for PIP here. The benefits and finances category is your best bet at reading through how other people have dealt with this.

You can also read our top tips for attending a PIP assessment here.

I look forward to chatting with you!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • trudy
    trudy Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options
    Hi my son had his assessment at home as he cant get out the house due to his aspergers and autism which stops him from being independant.he has not been out the house since leaving school and then a taxi used to take him to his special school.except for his dads funeral two years ago.they gave him middle pip on both mobilty and care.it is all done on points.which is very unfare and not right at all.it is based on what you can do rather than what you cant do.if you get your forms back saying you not entitled after your assesement first put in a mandatery reconsideration you only have a month to put this in.if that does not work put an appeal in.then if they does not work in your favour go to tribunal.they ask you questions how far can you walk unaided can you cook for yourself.can you wash yourself.things like that they ask you.x
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @valerie - I suggest that you read the PIP section on the Disability Rights website which gives very thorough info about the PIP process.

Do remember that you don't get points for the medical conditions themselves but for how they affect your ability to carry out a range of daily tasks and how far you can walk outdoors.  You have to have at least 50% bad days (four or more a week) to get points.  If they don't ask about the aids you need to use, describe them anyway.

You have to be able not to walk not more than 20 metres outdoors to get enhanced mobility rate.  

At the assessment the assessor will observe you informally, such as how you walk from the waiting area to the consultation room and whether you put belongings down on the floor and pick them up again when you leave.

The following documents are useful.  

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519119/personal-independence-payment-handbook.pdf

The first is the DWP's own handbook on how assessors are supposed to conduct assessments.  

The second is the DWP's advice to assessors about how to observe people informally - and, crucially, how to get them to contradict themselves at assessment or how inadvertently to indicate more ability than their form says (for example, they might ask about hobbies - knitting or doing jigsaws indicates considerable manual dexterity).  Although housework doesn't count formally, ability to do housework indicates quite a high level of fitness.
  • emkins40
    emkins40 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    Hi, I can only advise based on my own experiences. My first claim for pips was refused. I attended by taxi, I did not have someone to accompany me. ALWAYS have a carer or supporter with you. My first claim was refused. My health got worse by then I had learnt a lot more. So much info is available to help. I took a carer with me, I did not dress to make an effort I was blunt in my answers. I had a copy of my claim form which I kept referring to. When I was asked questions I checked again and again. In the assessors report she thought I was extremely anxious and agitated. GOOD. Then on my most recent assessment I was given the advice to request a home visit. This made all the difference, I even got my MP to help. If you read my introduction you will see my fight is still not over but my best advice is to prepare the best you can. Just by getting a home visit indicates to the assessor you will qualify for at least some points. You have to be positive but you will feel 
    Like you are fighting for your rights. It's tough and hard a d unfair, I watched the film I Daniel Blake the other evening and I felt as if I was watching myself. I have been through this now 4 times with mandatory reconsiderarions and knock backs and now at appeal. Feel free to ask for any other advice, I will give you the best help I can so you are prepared. Xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.