Hi, I'm Paula and my Son is Autistic and 19. Support as an independent adult. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Paula and my Son is Autistic and 19. Support as an independent adult.

Options
paulamarie1222
paulamarie1222 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi, my Son is Atypical Autistic with speech and language delay. He is 19 now. I have a lot of experience and knowledge to share but the 'learning the lessons' are ongoing and it would be good to be in touch with other people in a similar situation. The problems he faces as an adult are pretty daunting but he is doing well with my support and guidance. My main concerns at the moment are putting measures into place, should anything happen to me. It's pretty daunting and a huge worry. I have involved social services already but because I am already caring for him, they say that there is nothing for them to offer at the moment but that should anything happen to me, at least he is 'under their radar'. Has anyone got anything to share on this? 

Comments

• MrsLogic
    MrsLogic Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    Hi Paula

Welcome to the site, I'm sure that you'll be able to chat with likeminded individuals.  

I myself am autistic and have an autistic son, so anything you could share about the process would be really useful.

thanks

Jo, aka 'Mrs Logic'
    <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://faspie.blogspot.co.uk/">http://faspie.blogspot.co.uk/</a>

• Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Options
    Hello Paula,
    I understand how you re feeling. I am a widow and care for my 50 year old daughter who has Learning Disabilities.  I too have worried a great deal about what will happen when I am no longer here to care for her and I know other carers who feel the same.  I have made a Discretionary Trust Will through Mencap who will arrange everything for her according to my wishes as t what I want for her when I am no longer here.  I have no other family so felt I had to do this and I know it's not a nice subject but it has to be faced and I feel more at ease now knowing I have got something in place for her.
  • paulamarie1222
    Options
    Hi Castleford1, A big thank you for putting me onto Mencap about the Discretionary Trust. I've been in touch with them and with their Trust people and I've had a lot of questions answered. They're a great organisation and I'm now much clearer and more assured now as to what I need to do for my Son's future. It's been playing on my mind so much. There's so much to consider but going through Mencap, this provides a long term, trusted and reassuring way to cover many eventualities. Thanks again and best wishes to you  :)
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Options
    Glad to be of help to you.  I did a letter of wishes with my will stating what I wanted for Alison when I am no longer around.  They write to me every year to see if I want to update or change anything in the Letter which is really good.  It's been a weight off my mind.  Best wishes to you and your son.
  • paulamarie1222
    Options
    Thank you. And to you too. I'll keep that in mind for when I finalise everything.

Brightness