State Pension and PIP - help needed — Scope | Disability forum

State Pension and PIP - help needed

chinde Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am going to be 60 in sept and have to take early retirement on ill health basis, I have been told i can't assess my state pension till i'm 66yrs of age, I need my state pension now as I wont have an income coming in to live on (waiting to see if I qualify for PIP) and most of the ill health benefits are means tested! Has anybody else been in the same situation and can tell me how to get my state pension earlier.


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chinde and welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the Ask a benefits advisor section so I hope you can get some support from them.  
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello chinde

    It simply won't be possible for you to get your state pension early i'm afraid. But, you may be able to claim contributory Employment and Support Allowance. This is a benefit that replaces your earnings when you cannot work due to ill health or disability. It is not means tested but requires you to have have paid sufficient national insurance contributions in a similar way to that of the state pension.

    For more information i suggest you take a look at the Scope page here and the here.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.