Struggles Of Dating When You Use A Wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggles Of Dating When You Use A Wheelchair

Options
Alex
Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
Funny video from Buzzfeed about some of the comments and situations women in wheelchairs encounter when they date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9LOMauCyPk

Thanks to @lauon90 for spotting!

Comments

• lauon90
    lauon90 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    Some really cringeworthy moments in this, obviously amped up for comic effect but you can imagine this kind of thing happening. And imagine it does! Particularly when the guy makes a big fuss and show out of embarrassing the guy who parked in an accessible parking space.

Also- still so strange that America still use the word handicap. I'm curious as to why that is.
  • RSW665
    RSW665 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Options
    I have to admit to seeing the funny side of the video, but maybe a more light-hearted approach towards disabled people from able-bodied people with regards to dating is what is needed.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Healthy people almost never accept being close to someone in a wheelchair unless they are close before one is needed. I have been in a contact with other disabled people (men and women) who put a picture of a wheelchair in their profile. It just scares most people away. Even 2 of my children will not stand anywhere near me when I have to use mine. At mum's funeral my sister and in-laws, the 2 children of mine who attended and almost everyone else stood as far away from me as they possibly could. One of the funeral company's staff pushed me around and he was the only person to speak to me until the wake, during which I walked rather than using the chair. It meant I suffered a lot later but at least I no longer felt like a leper.

If family can be that afraid what chance is there with strangers?
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • 1BentSpine
    1BentSpine Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    It is very disappointing when you get less or no emotional support from people you expect it from. (Family members)  I finally came to a point I  my Iife when I realized I just had to find do people who supported me, disability and all, and not worry about what a parent thought or did.  It did help get rid of some of the stress of thinking I could never live up to certain expectations, because often those expectations were unrealistic anyway.

Brightness