Tribunal Win / Another Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal Win / Another Assessment

Kassponia
Kassponia Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I had to go to a tribunal over the decision of DWP, who awarded me zero on everything for PIP. Previous I was on DLA. this was September 2015 and my upper tribunal hearing ended July 2016. The decision was to be on enhanced everything indefinitely. The tribunal got to see my medical records and a letter from my GP.

However, on Friday I received another letter saying I have to attend an assessment. This has got me worried and upset. I thought if you won your tribunal then you don't need to go through anymore assessments? My assessment said indefinitely. It's not even been 12 months and I've got this letter.

the last time they reduced my income to £82 a month and I couldn't pay my bills and was living off handouts for nearly seven months until my tribunal was over. Now I'm worried this will happen all over again and I don't think I can go through it all again. I just feel like ending it all right now.

can anyone give me any advice?

Comments

• janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Please don't allow this situation and people and gov to win 
    I too felt very low and made me more ill and awaiting another assessment 

please get get relevant support advice and guidance etc 

i hope youre alright right under the circumstances 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kassponia - you might want to re-post in the 'Ask a benefits advisor' category.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited March 2017
    Hi Kassponia, Agree with last post. Also who sent you the assessment letter? Was it DWP or ATOS/CAPITA? Whoever it was I suggest you ring them to see if it's a mistake. Tell them about your Tribunal win. Whatever they tell you ask the name of whoever you're speaking to and keep a record of the date and time of the phonecall and what was said. Your MP then might be a good place to start getting help or the CAB have a legal dpt. for free advice.  
  • Kassponia
    Kassponia Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks, but its pointless now.

Apparently after a weekend of no sleep and panic, the DWP have told me that ESA is separate to PIP. So i require an assessment for ESA by the 3rd April.

They told me that my PIP award is for mobility and day to day living, but the ESA is to assess me for work........If you cant manage day to day and you have mobility problems, im pretty sure theres not much point in assessing someone for work.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello Kassponia

I am sorry to read that after all the upset of sorting out your PIP award, you now have to deal with ESA.

Unfortunately it is correct that PIP and ESA have 2 different types of assessment.  Generally speaking, PIP considers your ability to look after yourself whilst ESA considers whether you are unable to work.

Given that PIP and ESA have 2 different tests, a PIP tribunal decision although good evidence will not passport you onto ESA.  

ESA will mainly consider if you score 15 points, and these points come from a series of descriptors. Scope have a section on ESA, and the link is below, and this includes a furtehr link to the points descriptors:

http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/employment-support-allowance

When you go for the medical assessment the assessor will be trying to establish which descriptors and therefore points you score. 

Good luck, and please post again if you have any further queries.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.