GDD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GDD

MirandaDVM2
MirandaDVM2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello Everyone, 
I was diagnosed with Global Developmental Delays (GDD) at a young age, I was a preemie when I was born. I recently looked at my medical documents and found out I was diagnosed with GDD at 6 months of age and was continuously checked every year until age 6. My parents stopped getting me check for delays after that. I just don't understand why they didn't tell me sooner or even continued to get me checked... now at 22, I have seemed to be doing a lot better in college, I am passing my courses, math still isnt my strong subject but im working through it. I cried the other day reading about GDD and how it's incurable and you just play catch up.  I don't have any other developmental delays that I know of. 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MirandaDVM2 have you spoken to your parents about this? Perhaps they had a good reason? 

If you have no developmental delays and are doing well in college, don't let this diagnosis define you.  How do you think things would have been different if you had known about this?

Im sorry it has upset you, but I am sure you can move through this, I wonder if a good honest chat with your parents would be useful?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nina77
    Nina77 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    HI @MirandaDVM2, I just joined this site ten minutes ago and was looking for chats about GDD.I'm really not sure what you should and shouldn't say here but i hope what i do say helps you a little hun.  I'm sorry to hear you didn't have further checks, and what you wrote about being upset because you've read it's incurable really saddened me. My daughter has just turned 17, she was diagnosed with GDD at 6, We've had no outside support from doctors,social services or any other organisations and she hasn't been to the doctors to be reassessed since,nothing more has been offered to us other than yearly statement reviews for school,now college has EHC reviews. She's in college now studying art…she has an amazing talent,She struggles with so much in day to day life, understanding conversations and reading between the lines of what people say is a big thing we are dealing with right now,she makes friends easily but just isn't quite on their wave length so they get bored,make new friends and leave her behind.  As a mum,watching her go through this over and over again pains me, I try to remind her every day that EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, I'm almost 40 and still playing catch up with a lot of my life…they'll be many years ahead, deal with what you can day to day,don't rush, focus on the things you can do and the new things you are learning in college! I'm so glad you are doing well and passing your exams, Chat with your parents…they may not have been offered anything other than the diagnosis of GDD…as a parent myself i know I was just left to cope through issues alone. 

• MirandaDVM2
    MirandaDVM2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello @Sam_Scope I have talked to my parents about it very recently and they said "We thought you'd grow out of it.. So we had no reason to inform you on it." I myself thought about going to a doctor of some sort and have them explain to me more in dept what GDD actually is. Hello @mumof3boys I think my parents were told that.  and @Nina77 I don;t see a point in getting myself checked now about the issues.. The only thing I really stuggle with is math but that's why I have a fantastic tutor that works people who have my kind of disabilty as you can call it.What did the doctors say when they reassessed her? I am glad she is doing well in college majoring in the Arts! My parents didn't want me to go to college because they felt I was going to fail at everything I do. It is hard to deal with sometimes.. Especially when it comes to interacting with others.. I also have a hard time communicating with people and reading between the lines.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 210 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness