Blue badge renewal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge renewal

6less
6less Community member Posts: 8 Connected
I've just had a reminder popped up in my calendar to let me know that my Blue Badge expires in June, so I'd better start thinking of starting the reapplication process. I know that this is treated as a new application and as I don't have an automatic qualification am expecting to have to go through the usual dance of refusal and appeal , but bearing in mind we have to provide details of our existing badge does anybody know if councils actually refer back to our previous approved application to help inform their decisions? Unless I've suddenly become a Time Lord or some kind of exotic lizard I'm unable to regenerate my amputated leg so the basic grounds for the previous approval will still at least be the same and with the passage of time most likely have deteriorated.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @6less

I can't answer your specific question but would you not be eligible for PIP mobility benefit?
  • 6less
    6less Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi Matilda,
    Yes , if I was assessed with enough points (8?).To be honest I'm putting off applying for PIP as the forms etc seem quite daunting but as the BB is expiring I need to do something about it now. Perhaps this is the shove that I need!
    it just seems to me to be unnecessary bureaucracy (and cost) to make those of us whose conditions cannot improve go through a reapproval process every 3 years.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @6less - yes, applying for PIP is very stressful but can be worth it in the end.  Both Disability Rights and CAB websites have good guides to claiming PIP.  The former, I think, is better at explaining descriptors but the latter makes a good point about which walking distance box to tick.  They advise not to tick box 'it varies' but to tick one of the others.  The CAB don't actually say so but I think saying 'it varies' would give DWP and assessors too much of a loophole to classify the claimant as being able to walk well enough not to score at least 8 points!

Yes, applying for BB is incredibly bureaucratic, even for those who automatically qualify.  It keeps a few more local council employees in work!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @6less It does seem ridiculous to have to reapply for things when you have a condition such as yours which isnt going to suddenly change! 

If you did decide to apply for PIP there is a great step by step guide to filling in the forms here, I know they seem daunting but it could be beneficial to you.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness