How do you feel normal with people without aspergers? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you feel normal with people without aspergers?

Options

Comments

• Charlottewaring9
    Charlottewaring9 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Well I did my counselling didnt help at all and I started a group called run and keep safe and their were alot of people who were different but me and my have decided to try herowood college to see if i can get taught the right way and not to forget either what do you guys think?
  • davidj49
    davidj49 Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, I found one to one sessions  of either counselling or tutoring  enable me to process the information. If I am in a group setting then the surrounding stressors i.e.. people making jokes,the eye contact, hold me back and I fall behind...not good.

I read about Hereward College, are you sure it's what you need? They request that  you stay overnight and also meet and chat to the teachers etc... they will be observing you. Maybe that's not for you? Can't you choose a typical college where they have extra support for those on the Autism Spectrum? What do you want to study?
    Thanks.
  • Charlottewaring9
    Options
    oh and how did that go and did you enjoy it all then at your group and counselling. why does everyone hereward college isnt a good college for me i struggle to understand maths and i have failed my exams in three years since i have been at henley colleg and my mum said hereward is a good college they probably may help me teach me in a way that i can understand and they dont stay over at herward college its a learning disablity college that will help me i know my mum knows best and i agree with it to help me make my life better and i study business admin level 2 at henley college
  • davidj49
    Options
    The website for Hereward says that you have to stay one night there if you want a residential assessment, but other wise they wrote this.......If you’re interested in joining us at Hereward we strongly advise you arrange a visit to college or come along to one of our Open Days which take place throughout the year.

Once you have completed an application form, you will be invited to attend an assessment at college. If you are applying for a day place, this usually takes up to 2 hours.

This is not a college where you learn Maths or Business Admin etc....it look like a college aimed at people who are low functioning. Why don't you do open university course and then you can study at home, or get a apprenticeship and go to college part time, but take advantage of your formal diagnosis, and be open about being Autistic with the employers, mention Autism once you secured the interview.

I don't like group settings and excel one to one, sadly I was never diagnosed until I was 44.

• davidj49
    Options
    I just did more checks. it does look good and seems to be what you need, best you go and visit them in person with your Mum.

http://www.hereward.ac.uk/our-offer/pathways/
  • bendigedig
    bendigedig Community member Posts: 254 Pioneering
    Options
    @Charlottewaring9

Amongst other things, I used to teach a Pathway Vocational Course at entry level, I also taught at level 1 too.  This was at a large Metropolitan FE College.

Im fairly sure the Tutors on these types courses would be more than happy to differentiate your learning programme to suit your needs, whatever subject that you decided to study.  If they werent open to or flexible enough to accomodate your needs then this would need to be discussed with the Learning Support Tutor at the College.  

I am very surprised at what you said about your experience at the college that said you wouldnt be entitled to any support!?  Im guessing that you were talking to the "wrong people".  

Aspergers is a diagnosis that is often accompanied by "comorbid" conditions such as Specific Learning Difficulties or Dyspraxia.  I myself have a Dyslexia Diagnosis as well as an Aspergers diagnosis.  Aspergers and/or learning difficulties are not barriers to learning in unless the learning environment isnt adapted to the specific needs of the learner.

I myself with considerable difficulty and without any targeted support muddled through Secondary School and the two diferent FE Colleges and University before getting a dyslexia diagnosis whilst studying as a Post Graduate.  Quite a while later I recieved an Aspergers diagnosis.  This was in my 40s.

A bit of time has passed since you made your original post.  I hope your situation has improved.  Let us know how you are getting on :)

• VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Charlottewaring9 - I'm another who'd love to know how you're getting on? 

Going back to @davidj49 's earlier comments - Open University is definitely worth looking into if you decided you just don't get on with 'traditional' education. I've done it myself - it's thoroughly enjoyable and very well supported. 

Hereward certainly seems worth checking out anyway. Good luck! 

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

• Charlottewaring9
    Options
    Hi Violet I am going to see herward college dont know when we havent heard from them yet might be a while i am a bit scared to go to a new college how can i cope?
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    If you end up going to Hereward then they'll be set up for people who struggle with this sort of thing anyway and will help you settle in. If you go elsewhere then tell them in advance that you have Aspergers and will probably need extra support - they will almost certainly ask for details of any extra needs in advance of you starting, anyway. They are legally obliged to help you access education if they accept you as a student, so don't worry about it - just tell them how you feel.

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

• davidj49
    Options
    @Charlottewaring9 I went though school and college not knowing that I was Aspergic until I was 44. Life was a muddle and a mystery until I found a job in Bavaria, Germany and  moved away from drab Essex. I am glad you were diagnosed at 17.Can I ask what your passion is? Thanks
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    I find I have much better conversations with people who are on the spectrum. But sometimes I am just as anxious. It's not about being tolerated, bristled at or coped with. I don't know if feeling normal is something nobody does but I find it particularly painful and agitating in a way that affects me, but I also worry about giving over signals that mess other people up. But how relaxed I am generally makes a big difference to the level of anxiety, the OCD. I mess up trying not to mess up. 
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom
  • davidj49
    Options
    @Kathy_Bramley...How do you know that are Autistic in the first place?
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your comment. And when I say the spectrum I mean the meta spectrum of neurodiversity. 
  • davidj49
    Options
    @Kathy_Bramley Clearly I was referring to the Autism spectrum. SO how do you know if the person you are talking to is Autistic(Autism Spectrum)?
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    I am soery I geel a bit harried. I don't always know, but I have a sense or later someone tells me or I already know for some reason. There is a lot of subtlety that might be difficult to explain. I don't go around intrusively diagnosing people or telling people, at least I wouldn't like to think so. Like I say it is a broadest range of spectrum in my mind. People themselves don't always know. I know the traits and criteria a little, but it's often more a subtle recognition I can't easily describe but happens with a range of people. I have been interested and thinking about autism and other related conditions since I was young, I sing my own praises and a bit cheesy saying I guess before people are diagnosed and they later tell me, but it has happened. What do you want to know about, about how, defensive or curious. It isn't there as a thing at the front of my mind, being rude to people, it's more about sensitivity, the way the conversation goes, maybe stereotypical obsessions and it's often a reflection afterwards. I am answering to avoid a circuitous bad faith kind of conversation I dont want to answer feeling misunderstood. I wasn't sure why you were asking that, which was why I clarified what I myself had meant. Having grown up without diagnosis, around other diagnosis and dyspraxia being a more prominent possible diagnosis and what discussion I had being often in context of a fuzzy broader neurodiversity bracket and similarities across the board. I learnt to perceive it that way in a fuzzy artful sensing of multiple traits. It's hard going into them without being certain of a sympathetic audience. Especially as I think more in cinematic textures than words somehow, especially when feeling under pressure. How people think and respond to pressure is a key point though, actually. Like a non Newtonian fluid. 
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    Surely what you asked followed on from me saying I find I have much better conversations with people who are on the spectrum.

• Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    So that's why I thought what I meant was important. And why you seemed confused and confusing asking what seemed like quite a particular question that didn't fit and was rather dismaying and tricky to know how to answer. 
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    Its an important point though, that people we tentatively tag in our minds as having or not having autism or related conditions don't necessarily have it. Sometimes people can be very negative about "NT" behavior, and sometimes it isn't.  Or on the other hand overdevelopment of a bubble of what in their minds autism is and their people. And there's a lot of strong feelings around all told. 
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Options
    But you might just have wanted to conpare notes.  
  • davidj49
    Options
    @Kathy_Bramley I struggle to have conversations generally, but do well when it comes to talking about my interests, or the other person might seem 'odd' just I probably seem odd to most people. I found that it's not possible to diagnose others people, the art of diagnosis is so complex, and therefore I couldn't confirm whether I get on better with Autistic people or not.  I think it depends on whether you connect with someone, or not.

I try not to dwell on the spectrum when I meet people, in fact I try to avoid people altogether.

Brightness