PIP assessments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessments

Options
ASDMum
ASDMum Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello there. My child has been receiving DLA and is now informed that we are having a home PIP assessment - I don't want my child to hear me reporting the negative things needed for the assessment, has anyone faced this before? Presumably they need to meet the 'claimant' but can I ask them to call for other info?

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi @ASDMum I was in this same position in 2011. I have an adopted son who has been violent in the past and acts as if he doesn't remember or shuts it out. He has walked out of appointments as soon as anything about the bad side of him is mentioned. He has no empathy for others so no regrets or idea of what affect his behaviour  had on those around him. I sent in as much evidence as I could about him incuding psychiatric reports, photos of smashed windows ect but mainly evidence of his danger to himself and others and they didn't even call him in for a f2f. It's best of you collect evidence of what you don't want discussed and have copies handy. I think they've tightened things a lot since my son was assessed but if you tell ATOS and DWP  why you don't want your child to hear everything about his condition hopefully they'll be understanding. Remember that the assessment is about how his/her disability affects them as at the time of the assessment and that they only have to  need the help for 3 months before and 9 months after so anything in the past needn't be discussed especially if they've got it in writing. Also there are standard questions they ask which are very much related to the descriptors on the PIP points system so if you have a look at them (just search online) you'll get a good idea of whether the info. you don't want discussed will be a problem or not. Make sure the DWP send all the Dr's reports and any other evidence to the  assessor as this should happen but isn't always done if at all. I would insist on this. Then you could refer to relevant documents if necessary if the conversation gets difficult. Hope that helps. Also ask to see what is being written before the assessor starts. You have a right according to ATOS website. Good Luck..    
  • ASDMum
    Options
    Thank you this is a great help. I've only had 6 days notice of the appointment and have not been asked to fill out any forms. I have not had time to gather evidence tailored to the needs of the Assessment. Has anyone called to speak to the person visiting before the visit? 
  • wildlife
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi @ASDMum You should have fillied a form in before the assessment and been given a month to send it back and have time to send in written evidence. They then have to look at these 2 things to decide IF a face 2 face assessment is necessary and whether it should be at home. I would be on the phone tomorrow morning to both the DWP and ATOS/Capita whoever has sent you the appointment to ask what is going on. You can't speak to the assessor before the assessment but they are doing things out of the order laid down in the regulations. PIP has different criteria to DLA therefore different information is gathered about the claimant. Who sent you the appointment letter? The DWP PIP number is 03458503322  
    I also suggest you repost in the "ask a benefit advisor" section.

• ASDMum
    Options
    Thanks wildlife. All i have done is been sent a letter notifying me of the impending assessment, and I replied with the reasons why my child could not reply to assessment theirself and I received a letter from DWP saying they are visiting about the application that I act on his behalf. Any thoughts?
  • wildlife
    Options
    @ASDMum, I've just seen your post on ask a benefit advisor. You didn't say it was for you to be an appointee. That's not an assessment for PIP it's only to make sure there are reasons why the claimant can't deal with their own affairs. Still I hope what I've already said will help when the assessment is done in the future...  
  • ASDMum
    Options
    Thanks wildlife I didn't realise either until your very helpful post made me read the letters again very carefully! So thank you so much. Not sure what to expect from the visit - but thank you again.
  • wildlife
    Options
    @ASDMum, I had a visit to be made appointee for my son about 6 years ago. It was a nice chap who treated it like just a formality. It's nothing to do with the actual benefit it just means you will be able to fill forms in and speak to people on the phone on behalf of your son/daughter. 
  • ASDMum
    Options
    Thank you - that's great. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.