When will ESA to UC migration letters be sent?

Mulberry4000
Mulberry4000 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 28 in Benefits and income

Hi I am asking when will letters be sent out to people in ESA income related to migrate to Universal credit. I have not received anything but knowing the DWP they will lie to say they sent it.

Best Wishes

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,087 Championing

The last Government announced it would be between Sept 2024 and Dec 2025. Whether the new Government will change that, I have no idea.

I've advised potentially thousands of people and I've yet to advise anyone that hasn't received the migration notice after it was sent.

• Andi66
    Andi66 Community member Posts: 258 Empowering

At the moment I'm on esa income, my daughter lives with me and we both get pip . As she does I don't lose any money from esa , what happens with UC , will any be deducted?

• poppy123456

There will be no non dependent deductions for UC when you do claim it.

• Andi66

Thank you, honestly I'm dreading it, seems so complicated.

• Andi66

I am physically dreading the migration letter from esa to uc , I have autism and its on my mind constantly. It's seems so complicated. Can you run down what I need to do once I get the letter please.

• Rachel_Scope
    Rachel_Scope Posts: 1,059 Online Community Coordinator

I understand it's worrying @Andi66. I found this guide which may be helpful for you https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-to-uc-migration#:~:text=You%20can%20also%20choose%20to,UC%20in%202028%20or%202029 . Hope it helps ease your mind.

• poppy123456

I've advised you on this before. When you receive your letter you will have 3 months to apply. If you're still in the WRAG this means you'll be entitled to the LCW from the start of your claim. If your ESA started before April 2017 then you'll also be entitled to the LCW element, if it started after April 2017 then like ESA you will not receive the extra money for the LCW element.

As your ESA includes the SDP then you'll be entitled to Transitional Protection so you won't be any worse off when you do claim.

Your ESA and Housing benefit (if you claim that) will continue for 2 weeks once you submit your claim for UC.

• Meg24
    Meg24 Community member Posts: 294 Pioneering

I'm the same Andi. Don't worry about needing to have the information repeated, it's really hard to retain information or feel reassured when so much is at stake, especially if you are ND or have MH issues. I suffer with severe anxiety and it doesn't matter how much information I have about the migration, it still scares me.

I am planning to get a benefits advisor to help me if I can find one. This website is supposed to help you find a local one https://advicelocal.uk/

• Andi66

I know poppy 123456 you have. But it dosent stop my anxiety. Especially as I haven't had my esa review back . So unsure which category I'm in, since my health has got worse since last year. So having Autism and dyslexia as well I do worry. I see on another Facebook universal credit site, people put about statements , that it'd complex . Why do you have to show bank statements, tenancy statement, why do they ask about pay pal ? I only use it to pay for things and it shows on my bank statement.

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,021 Empowering

I understand all months of tories last year and about time budget comes October 30 lth be just under a year of pure stress worry I've been bed bound last few days so burnt out from it all I'm dyslexic and awaiting adhd and I definitely have autism it's like a steam train in my mind I wrote two emails to Stephen timms second one I'm thinking oh should I have said that god wish could win lotto or something It's so hard living in a world that doesn't cater for us

• Catherine21

You can see how the media government get you on your knees they make you weak so you just lay down and take it I have no energy literally walking down the stairs is to much dreading everyday postman comes thier obviously going ahead with it this why I used to drink but I won't go back someday weeks are harder than others cruel I call it very cruel and I said that to Mr timms as well

• Andi66

I do as well, got a panic attack because I thought it was it come in the post yesterday.

• Catherine21

Awful isn't it can relate I'm totally worn out with it all I hope really hope they halt it not holding much hope

• poppy123456

That Facebook group you're in can't be helping your anxiety surely? I joined one of those a few years ago and it really was shocking. Some of the advice some people was giving was just unbelievable and not correct. The best thing you can do for that is to click "leave group."

You are still in the WRAG until a new decision says otherwise. You only have to show bank statements when you claim if your capital/savings is above £6,000.

If you're privately renting your home then yes you will need to provide proof of liability to pay rent such as a tenancy agreement because you're UC will include help with the rent. This is the same when claiming housing benefit.

If you're renting from social housing you will not need a tenancy agreement because they contact your landlord directly.

They ask what savings/capital you have when you claim UC so you need to tell them what savings you have. If it's less than £6,000 then it's disregarded. They do not ask about pay pal specifically.

• Andi66

Thank you, my bank balance is from pip back dated it is less than the amount. Do they count benefit backpay ? I'm with social housing, luckily I still have my tenancy agreement. It's has led me to anxiety big time. I have enough going on as it is. I'm on antidepressants, I've have no friends ,my ex friend turned on me for wanting space. I have my daughter but can't ply on her as she has her own problem which I'm trying to help, she has asd and bpd . I often say the wrong thing . I often feel alone . This worry is getting to me. I'm glad I have my cats . So sorry for this post

• poppy123456

@Andi66 backdated money from benefits is disregarded for 1 year from the date you received it.

As you live in Social housing you will not need a tenancy agreement. You just need to give the name of your landlord and UC will check with those. It’s a much easier process when renting from social housing.

Please don’t be sorry. I’m glad you have your cats too, they are wonderful company. I have a cat too and I don’t know what I would do without him.

• Catherine21

I had a friend I was doing everything for her looking after her kids helping round her house always available I used to have to stay in bed for a week after her company didn't relize at the time it was burnout I started CBT intense therapy for nearly two years one week group then one to one I started talking about how I'm a great empath how I want to save the world but I relized I was drowning I had to save myself I haven't seen or heard since I learnt to say No my life been somewhat easier and my doggies my world keep strong