What benefits am I entitled to if I have to retire early due to ill health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What benefits am I entitled to if I have to retire early due to ill health

jayneod
jayneod Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I currently work three full days a week. But with RA I don't think I can work until I'm 66/67 thanks to the new government rules on pensions. (I'm 57 at the moment) what benefits am I entitled to if I have to stop work due to ill health. I currently receive PIP higher Level for mobility and middle rate for care - thanks in advance for any help 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jayneod welcome to the community, you can try using our benefits calculator to see what you could be entitled to.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi jayneod,

The main benefit you'd probably claim if you stopped work would be Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). At the beginning of your claim you submit sick notes and then usually have a medical called a Work Capability Assessment. As you've been working, you might get contributory ESA which lasts for 52 weeks, but it can last indefinitely if the medical decides you should be in the support group (the group of people who aren't expected to do any work-related activity whilst on ESA). 

If you don't qualify for contributory ESA or it runs out, then income-related ESA may be payable, depending on your overall situation (including whether you live with a partner and whether they are working). In some areas of the country you may have to claim Universal Credit instead, but you'll be told if this applies. 

Also worth checking are Housing Benefit (to help with rent) and Council Tax Benefit (to help with the council tax). Both of these are paid by the local council. In some areas Housing Benefit is also being replaced by Universal Credit but again you'll be told if this applies.

Make sure you tell the DWP and/or the council about what level of PIP you are getting as it can affect the level of other income-related benefits you are entitled to.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    HELLO @JAYNEOD, MY EMPLOYER HAS JUST FINISHED ME DUE TO MY DISABILITY (MS) USING THE PHRASE 'INCAPACITY'. FOR THE FIRST 13 WEEKS I CAN ONLY CLAIM £73.10 ON TOP OF DLA PAYMENTS SAME AS YOUR PIP. AS I NEED A MOBILITY CAR THEN I ONLY HAVE APPROX £130 PER WEEK TO LIVE ON WHICH ALTHOUGH WELCOME IS NOT MUCH WITH ALL HOUSEHOLD BILLS AND FOOD ETC, GOOD LUCK
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi SethLaa,

that is a good point - although if you are getting income-related ESA it can sometimes include extra amounts where you get DLA or PIP, even during this 'assessment phase'.

If you feel that you could have continued doing the job if your employer had made reasonable adjustments do consider getting some employment law advice. That's not something I can help you with but the Scope helpline could point you in the right direction.

0808 800 3333

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.