Motorbike and quad riding for 11-25 year olds. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motorbike and quad riding for 11-25 year olds.

gauntlet
gauntlet Community member Posts: 8 Listener

Hi all, I commented a couple of months ago about this subject. I have since sourced funding for two quads and one small motorbike, to be adapted for disabled use. I should take delivery of them in approx.10 weeks.  

This project will be run alongside an existing charity (Gauntlet Auto Project), based in Ramsey, Cambridgeshire, using their facilities.The machines will be speed restricted and have additional stabilising equipment fitted plus other safety features.

Your input regarding how best to survey the different disabilities, that could use this project, would be much appreciated.  I would also be very interested in any comments, ideas, thoughts or criticisms, to help make this venture a success for disabled youngsters.

Thank you. Roger.

Comments

• GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Welcome@gauntlet
    It is great news Roger that you have got this on the go and why not as long of what you said Safety. Have you already got in place by asking about the safety aspects from the council. I have a large disability activities centre that is been built that had to be put before the safety officers of which you have a certificate of approved. Is the activity indoors or out you have not put. Are the machines for a certain age group, as the set up can be related to the age. A theme around the course. is the area circle oval or obscure shape, This you can have a variety of effected budget set ups. If you could explain these questions I can give a few ideas of set ups. Good luck Roger it is well worth while I will keep to Shetland ponies with carriages but could use the idea in a different location. Hope to hear from you soon on this valued work for disabled.        
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    Great news.

But why the ageism?

I'm not in your area but am sure there are many over 60s (like myself) whose blood still runs quicker when a bike guns past.

Good luck anyway,

Jon

P.S. A trike conversion for the bike would help prevent balance and control issues and accidents whilst giving the 'bike experience' which is not the same as a quad......

• gauntlet
    Hi all, the project is restricted to 11 -25 year olds because of insurance demands. This is being looked into and hopefully, to have no upper limit. This is being run alongside an existing motorcycle charity project, so would be using the tracks already in use (flat oval and flat curvy) but not exclusivly. The machines are fitted with remote control emergency cut out.
    As this is a new project, a trike could be included at a later date, depending on demand.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Roger.
  • gauntlet
    Check out www.gauntlet auto project.biz.

Brightness