UC won’t backdate higher rate dla

Katrina2580
Katrina2580 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 4 in Universal Credit (UC)

Hi I have discovered that I have been missing out on the difference between lower and higher disabled child element of UC in October 2023 my child was awarded the higher rate care component of DLA. which means I should have been getting the higher rate on UC but didn’t know about this I contacted UC and they backdated 2 months and are refusing to backdate the rest as it’s over the time limit. Has anyone been in this position and had any luck on putting in a mandatory reconsideration? Any tips on what I’d put as my reason?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,087 Championing

What time limit are they referring to exactly? There's no time limit to this and you should receive what is owed to you.

Have you received a decision letter on your journal telling you they have refused to pay it from when you became entitled to it? If you have then yes request the MR on the decision not to award from the assessment period in which the DLA increased to the higher rate care.

• Katrina2580
    Katrina2580 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

yes they replied It wouldn’t be backdated as it’s outside the assessment period hence they only backdated me two months. I’ll request a MR and hopefully they reconsider. Thank you.

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

Heya @Katrina2580 and welcome to the community. 😊

I just wanted to drop in and say a quick hi and good luck with your MR. 🤞