Business opportunity - What do I tell DWP - Want to fully come off ESA

ConfusedUser
ConfusedUser Community member Posts: 3 Listener

Hey all, first time using this site but could do with some advice.

As the title suggests I have a great business opportunity which has come about. I'm currently in the support tier and have been left here to rot it would seem. I haven't had a review in over a decade and know at some point they'll want me to apply to migrate to UC.

I won't bore you with all my conditions but I'm sick to the teeth of just existing, I want to move on with my life and be free from the constant fear of actually living. I suffer with depression & anxiety but also have a pretty serious issue with my back and as a result rarely leave the house.

A couple of years ago I was given an invite through a major retailer to receive products for free in return for reviewing. I thought at the time it would be the odd item but as times has gone on, there was the potential to resell these items. It means I don't need to worry about leaving the house and also enables me go at my own pace.

I want to start a business doing this, I want completely rid of anything to do with ESA. I will be able to support myself easily through reselling these products. I am not interested in doing permitted work, or looking for any financial support further down the line.

How do go about letting them know and what does it entail. I will be essentially starting a business without an employer. I don't want them actually knowing this as I've had bad experiences with them several years ago.

I just want to simply tell them I wish to come off ESA but it's making me sick with anxiety.

I did a trial run reselling a few items at Christmas and it's completely viable. I now have a stockpile of items ready to go and am planning on registering for a UTC and declaring I'm a sole trader.

I don't want them knowing anything about my life further on. Do I simply just ring them as I'm reading conflicting information on various forums?

As the items are gifted for free, it only becomes a business if I resell them, so that's why I've been building up a stock pile to hit the ground running, so to speak.

Tagged:

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 7,000 Online Community Coordinator

Hey there @ConfusedUser and welcome to the community. 😊

That certainly sounds like quite the exciting venture you're embarking on, nice one!
    With regard to your ESA, it's as simple as just calling them and letting them know you no longer wish to claim it. Then make sure you register with HMRC as self employed. If you find youu do need a bit of support further down the line, you can apply for Universal Credit as self employed, so it can give you a bit of a buffer if some months are worse for sales than others.

Best of luck! 😁

• ConfusedUser

Hi thank you for the reply and wishing me luck. My mind feels a bit more at ease now, I was reading other forums with people saying they'll need proof that you have an employment offer and obviously I'll be doing this this for myself so wouldn't have it but if it's actually that simple, I'm happy.

Thanks again for the reply, shouldn't need UC but have read for people in my situation or similar, UC is actually where it actually works out helping people more so than hindering them.

Had a few friends who've said they'll help me with doing the self assessment side once registered, explaining how it works etc.So it was just breaking free that was the last hurdle. Thanks again 😊

• vikki66
    vikki66 Posts: 209 Connected

Aw @ConfusedUser

Well done on making the most of the opportunity, and building on it. Good luck with the new venture.

Not got anything to add to what Albus has said, but commenting because it’s good to hear a positive story.

• ConfusedUser

Thanks, wasn't sure anything would come of it and was just happy with free stuff but as times gone on I realised it was viable with reselling being the income source.

It'll be more time consuming than regular 9-5 but It suits my health & conditions, which a god send. I kept hoping for an opportunity and chance, and it looks like my wishes were answered. Someone's definitely been looking down on me.

Onwards and upwards as they say 😊

• vikki66
    vikki66 Posts: 209 Connected

@ConfusedUser

Even if it’s more time-consuming you’re doing it for you, no boss!
    I love the second-hand, circular economy, market! Hope you’re going to enjoy working in it 🤩