Is this what we can expect

apples
apples Community member Posts: 337 Empowering
edited September 12 in Benefits and income

https://www.mylondon.news/news/uk-world-news/dwp-taking-aim-long-term-29918568?utm_source=app

How about starting on people who can work but just refuse to ?

Comments

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 112 Empowering

That site is from a group/batch that shares scaremongering speculation.

Most sites that have "live" "record" "online" and areas Cornwall, Birmingham, London, Coventry etc should be avoided.

• apples

Thanks Nightcity, I weren’t aware that it was a scaremongering site

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 112 Empowering

I'm unsure if it's intentional or not but they are all about alarmist titles and clicks. Sorry for any distress it may have caused, because these sites do.

• vikki66
    vikki66 Posts: 209 Connected

Hi @apples

Hope you’re well.

Do you mean that some people just refuse to take jobs - I thought the job centre sanctioned people if they were fit but unwilling? I remember a neighbour kept refusing whatever they found for her, but one day her universal credit was just stopped. She then found a job (one of the ones she’d refused to consider) and her uc started again after a bit.

• apples

hi @vikki66

Yes I meant people who refuse to accept jobs, even not attending the interview, I know of a person who has not worked for years, don’t even attend his work coach meetings, and just puts on his journal that he had a bad cold and was bed bound, or a family member had a fall so had to take them to hospital with no consequences

• vikki66

Must have a total brass neck and think they’re tefal-coated.

They shouldn’t keep letting people away with these things, because that’s why they keep on doing it.

• vikki66

I forgot to add - they come down like a tonne of bricks on other people for one minor infringement, like being 5 mins late🤷‍♂️

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,980 Championing

I reckon there's more to that story than we're getting here. Possibly LCW rather than job seeking. May be a carer. May have a vulnerable marker on the account. Something doesn't add up.

• apples

Not on LCW job seeker, not a carer lives on their own, not vulnerable, he does have the gift of the gab so can talk his way out of anything, he shows me his journal where they post jobs but ignores them, he does say when he goes to see his work coach she’s harsh hence why he don’t go to every appointment as she keeps telling him he needs to apply for jobs and add to his journal as part of his commitment

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,980 Championing

Well that is a shame if it's all as it sounds, I don't think many people get away with it on UC. The work coach should be sanctioning him for missed appointments without a good reason.

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,328 Championing

I feel like for anyone to do this they must have some level of mental health difficulties or anxieties over working, I don't think I've ever met or known anyone who just doesn't feel like working so doesn't, there's always other stuff at play even if we don't understand it ❤️

• egister
    egister Posts: 274 Empowering
  • egister
    egister Posts: 274 Empowering

Why not just email a list of vacancies with requirements for applicants, working conditions and proposed salary?