How long to hear from PIP? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long to hear from PIP?

Comments

• jeana1
    jeana1 Community member Posts: 38 Connected
    Thanks W/Rachel..
    Hoping it all goes ok in the end..
    And worth the wait!
  • Robs
    Robs Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Well done Jeana if you are 68 in June, you should stay on DLA and should not have to claim PIP.  Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @jeana1

I suggest that you post your PIP questions in Ask a benefits advisor category and get an expert answer from the BenefitsTrainingCo who post replies on that thread.
  • Robs
    edited May 2017
    @Matilda
    The benefit advisor's on this blog are as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
  • Matilda
    @Robs

I have to disagree with you.  The benefits advisors give expert opinions.

And you are incorrect to say that as Jeana1 is 68 in June she should stay on DLA.  DWP rules state that DLA claimants aged under 65 on 8 June 2013 will have to claim PIP when told to do so by the DWP.
  • Robs

@ Matilda 

It depends on the date of birth. PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is the benefit that’s gradually replacing DLA (Disability Living Allowance).

You’ll carry on getting DLA if you were 65 or over on 8 April 2013. For everyone else aged 16 and over, DLA will stop and you’ll need to claim PIP instead - even if you have a ‘lifetime’ or ‘indefinite’ award for DLA.

If Jeana's birthday is after the 8 June 2013 she will have to claim PIP. But with regard to benefits advisors on this site, being expert, we will have to disagree. 

• SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    @Robs, the advisers on here are obviously far more knowledgeable than you and nowhere near as obnoxious. Safe to say that you WON'T be asking for anymore advice from the advisers
  • jeana1
    Hi..I just missed the cut off point it seems..my Bday is on 19th June..that cut off point was on the 8th! I missed out by 11 days! 
    Typical !!
  • jeana1
    Anyway folks.im really thankful for all your advice ...Ive contacted my MP earlier by email..so hope he can help..its 3/ half mnths now not a word frm Pip dept..Im usually a patient person but this is testing my patience..hopefully my MP will give pip lot a kick up the proverbial!! Lol Thanx to all x
  • Robs
    Bad luck Jeana. I hear this story over and over again. It seems that people with an indefinite DLA award are being targeted first. Still your MPs case worker can help you get it sorted quickly.  I was given an indefinite  DLA award too, but according  to the areas being accessed at that time May 2016 Warwick where l live was NOT even listed at that time. I asked my MPs case worker if that was the case, she said that was most probably the case.

I have to say Scope, CAB and Headway were most unhelpful, but my MPs case worker sorted it out in about three weeks. It must play on your mind, it's  very stressful, especially if you are due to lose your car.

Bytheway Motability will let you keep your current car, until your PIP award is sorted out, again ring them on Monday.

I have just ordered my new Motability car for 1 july delivery. I ordered the new Renualt Kadjar, with parking camera and satnav.

Take care Rob
  • Robs
    @SethLaa
    Your are correct in saying l will NOT be asking for anymore EXPERT advice from Scope. How can you call me obnoxious you don't  even know me or my disabilities.

For your  convenience  l am a qualified human rights lawyer, l therefore know a little more about human rights, disabilities duty of care etc. than the likes of pompous  fool's like you.
  • jeana1
    Hi Rob..I Phoned Motorbility other day re my car...they said im ok to keep it as long as my claims being sorted..even a little longer if necessary! Very helpful ppl..i got my usual car brochure from them last week ...but couldnt read it..too upsetting...This what the Tories have done to us...the disabled & the sick ..those most vunerable in our Society...Anyway fingers crossed eh ...

• Robs
    Good l know Motability are understanding and am pleased you arranged to keep hold of your current car.

I agree that this Tory government is less than caring when dealing with disabled people's needs and worries. I won't  say don't  worry, because  l know you will. I know how stresful it is, l too was in receipt of higher rate DLA for an indefinite  period. However, my MPs case worker sorted it all out for me. I hope you will be treated the same and come through the other side with the right decision. 

Take care Rob
  • Matilda
    There is a General Election in six weeks' time.  Remember to vote - and, of course, don't vote Tory.  If you live in a Tory/Labour marginal - vote Labour even if you don't like them either.  Whatever's necessary to reduce the number of Tory MPs being elected.   Labour or Labour/Coalition government would have to be better than the Tories for the sick and disabled.

We must fight the DWP, currently in the grip of the Tories of course.  I am going to take my appeal as far as I can and won't be intimidated by the risk of losing what award I already have.  Anyway, it would be perverse of a tribunal to take away my current award - they would have no grounds to do so based on my PIP form and even on the assessor's report.  If the tribunal don't increase my award from standard to enhanced, I'll think seriously about appealing to an upper tribunal.

• Matilda
    You have a very good MP, @Robs.  I wonder if mine would be as helpful should I need to seek their help.
  • Robs
    @Matilda

Keep on fighting l understand that 60% of people  taking their claim to tribunal win their case, so you have a better than 50/50 chance of winning. I hope you win your case. I also agree that voting labour is the best party for those of us that are unable to jump on a bus or train and demonstrate  in Westminster. We didn't  ask to become disabled and have to beg the DWP for a little help.
  • Robs
    My MP is a conservative, but has a heart and was very helpful. Try ringing yours you may find him/her is a caring individual, l did. In any case what have you got to loose, at worst you will be in the same position you are now,  at best he may sort it out for you, l hope so.

Take care Rob
  • SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous

Robs said:

@SethLaa
    Your are correct in saying l will NOT be asking for anymore EXPERT advice from Scope. How can you call me obnoxious you don't  even know me or my disabilities.

For your  convenience  l am a qualified human rights lawyer, l therefore know a little more about human rights, disabilities duty of care etc. than the likes of pompous  fool's like you.

HA-HA-HAA
  • jeana1
    Good morning Matilda...keep your chin up ! As Rob said youre in with a good chance at a tribunal...
    Good Luck! 
  • Matilda
    Thank you, @jeana1!  Good luck with your application - hope your MP can sort it out for you soon.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.