Carer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carer

Options
Debbzz
Debbzz Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi does anyone know where I can get some help my husband is disabled he has chronic arthritis in his foot and can not use or put any weight on his foot he is on crutches so he is unable to do a lot of things but I have to work 37.5 hours a week plus overtime to keep us afloat my husband claims esa and pips daily living, we have been refused mobility (yes even though he can't walk) so we have appealed this my problem is I can't afford to pay anyone to come and look after him whilst I'm at work and I can't claim carers allowance Cos I'm earning too much. I still do everything for him I'm so so tired and I don't know where to go for help can someone help me please I'm so desperate and tired

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Debbzz

Have your tried www.carersuk.org ? I hope you get some sort of answer soon.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Debbzz you aren't alone, it is a real problem for lots of families.  Has your husband been assessed for support needs? There is lots of information about carers and social care here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Debbzz

Would you consider working part time, or even giving up work altogether, and claim carers' allowance? You wouldn't get so tired as you'd only have your husband to look after, not do a full-time job as well.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Carers allowance is £62.70 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think there's a higher rate carer's allowance as well.
  • tsalt
    tsalt Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi Debbzz first hubby and motobility hopefully you and hubby share the same doctor request a wheelchair for hubby. Then fill in the motoribality form for hubby as if it's his worst health day if as I was your crying when you read it threw you've filled it in correctly. Now yourself once you claim carers allowance your national insurance is paid you will also be intitled to a carers grant once every two years 

Brightness