Novel situation

Jon80
Jon80 Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hi all, I can’t seem to find a similar situation online as I’m guessing that the following is rare.

I have Autism and nonverbal learning disability, extreme social anxiety and depression, for the last 13 years I have been in the ESA support group so am deemed not fit to work and I receive the higher rate in PIP for the mental side of things and the lower rate with regards to the mobility element.

for a multiple of reasons I would like to come off the ESA, I am fortunate that I have a family member who is prepared to send me each month what I get from ESA, this family member will in-fact be sending more than what I currently get from ESA as I will in effect be self employed so will have to cover certain costs myself plus I will obviously then be liable for paying my stamp, national insurance etc.

I am wondering if I went down this route would it potentially impact my PIP? Would I have to inform PIP? (I have a 10 year award) even though I’m not working and my condition hasn’t changed? the only thing that would have changed is that a benefactor would be giving me the money that I would usually would be receiving from the ESA.

I described this as a novel situation as I’m not sure if anyone has willingly given up being in the ESA support group as they no longer require the payment for the next 20-30 years.

The reasons why I would like to come off the ESA is due to it being very restrictive in that you can’t really inherit anything, can’t have over £6,000 in savings, my mum is my appointee and she gets very stressed every time it comes to the reassessments, It would just be mentally better for all of us to not be on the ESA benefit.

Thank you for taking the time to read the above, happy to elaborate on anything, if there is a more suitable forum where I should post this then please let me know.

thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,319 Championing

Your PIP will not be affected because it's not means tested. Many people work and claim PIP. You do not need to report the changes.

To be clear about savings/capital.. the maximum amount you can have is £16,000 before entitlement to means tested benefits end. For capital between £6,000 and £16,000 there's a £1/week deduction for every £250 or part thereof over that amount. Means tested benefits do not stop when you have £6,000 in capital.

• Jon80

Ok, thanks for confirming, I just thought that me coming off the ESA may trigger a reassessment of my PIP but that doesn't seem to be the case as I don't have to inform them.

Thanks

• Banarama123
    Banarama123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Why are you having reassessments if you are in support group. Being in support group means you do not need to look for work. Is it contribution based ESA

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 60,319 Championing

Reassessments are nothing to do with looking for work. Most people are reviewed at some point, even when in the Support Group.

• Jon80

The ESA support group reassessments have been every 2-3 years whereas my PIP was a couple of years ago, so the next one for PIP will be in 7/8 years time, I would argue that PIP should be a lifetime award for cases where the condition literally can't change and it be a case of you contact them if anything significant happens with regards to your condition.