Felt discriminated against at a neighbourhood meeting for being on disability benefit

Remina
Remina Community member Posts: 190 Empowering

Hi, just wanted to share an upsetting experience I had last night..

Recently in the area where I live there has been a lot of crime and anti-social behaviour going on, last night at the local community centre there was a neighbourhood meeting with local residents/council representatives/local police to all get together and discuss the situation and possible solutions.

I went along to the meeting, found a chair in the corner and sat alone to quietly listen to what everyone had to say, there was around 30+ people in the room in total.

Mid-way into the discussions an older lady stood up and started talking about some of the people who she believed were involved in the anti-social behaviour, she said ''During the daytime they sit around doing nothing, they're all part of the bloody benefits brigade!'' then a man who was with her (I assume was her husband) laughed and said loudly ''They all probably claim they have anxiety and depression so they never have to work a day in their lives! Same old story with most of these little rats!'', then a large section of the whole room started laughing and clapping in agreement, even one of the police officers who attended was chuckling after the man made his comment.

For about 5 more minutes after that the whole room was talking about how people on sickness benefits are ''fiddling the system to sit at home and do nothing'', I suddenly felt like I was in a room full of people who hated people like me, I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach and I felt so small and under-attack.. I've needed the support of ESA/PIP for most of my life because my health issues are absolutely hell to live with, I wondered if I'd have stood up and said to these people ''Hey wait a minute, I claim sickness benefits and I've NEVER lied or exaggerated anything in my life. Me and many people like myself genuinely depend on these benefits to survive!'', how the room would have reacted?

Overall it was a very upsetting evening for me. Everyone was supposed to be there to discuss the crime and anti-social behaviour in the area however it suddenly turned into a room full of people viciously mocking and abusing people on sickness benefits, it made me very sad. I wish I hadn't gone to the meeting.

Anyway, just wanted to get it off my chest.

Tagged:

Comments

• Juthbert
    Juthbert Community member Posts: 32 Connected

People are so quick to judge, and without knowing the full facts of a person's situation ( not that it is any of their business). I don't tell anyone I've been awarded pip or esa for exactly the reasons you heard last night. I only tell them I've applied for ill health retirement ( still going through process) as I don't want anyone 'thinking bad of me), which is quite sad really. Sorry you were made to feel that way, it's their ignorance, not yours x

• KylieGirl
    KylieGirl Community member Posts: 17 Contributor

I feel for you Hun, you have every right to feel attacked. Ignorant people xx

• phil68
    phil68 Community member Posts: 26 Connected

@Remina thankyou for sharing your experience. Shame on those people. Keep your head held high.

• JF7891
    JF7891 Scope Member Posts: 43 Connected

This and so many more reasons, convinced me to avoid any face-to-face communication with society at this moment in time. It's gotten so aggressive and damaging, it's literally not safe anymore to go outside. There is no point in joining society at this moment in time, all you will get is abuse, better to just stay away and do everything online / via the phone.

• Donna_donna
    Donna_donna Community member Posts: 9 Listener

Hi

Great subject and awful you were made to feel that way.

This is a classic example of how many people in this country are influenced by what they read and see in the media, who make it their job to demonise people on "benefits".

It really is the absolute pinicle of ignorance and something that for us who are unwell,severely in some cases, are forced to deal with constantly from every angle, on top of dealing with the loss of our previous lives chronic pain and a whole host of other things that go with any kind of chronic illness.

Of course these ignorant types don't seem to be aware,or want to be aware that it is EXTREMELY difficult to get sickness benefits, with claimants having lengthy stressful humiliating and often demeaning experiences to get awarded.

It is in reality, a cruel horrible system to go through with many people who deserve and need help giving up trying.

The statistics for fraudulent pip claims are apparently at 0 % now ,which is a true reflection of how a person simply cannot get these benefits without extensive evidence.

I completely understand how that must have made you feel.😔

• onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 819 Empowering

You are both correct. The system which is supposed to help people in need has been abused by a few so that everyone on the system is now tarred with the same brush.

I have had many comments against me including the judicial system where, in winning the "same case" many times to get actual payment, it is another story.

One judge told me to go away and learn my "trade" if you want to present cases to the court.

So I did, not that I needed to but it seems that unless you have a piece of paper that says you are an appointee you won't get anywhere. So I represented myself. Under the judicial system that make statements about what you can or cannot do, I took the system to the upper Tribunal on the grounds of Time Scales, the ability to give an extension to the DWP after two further extensions to a case that took 2 years to resolve, to name some.

I have stated before,that accountability for actions and written evidence gazumps every thing. That as an Expert witness, (DWP and PIP) you have to supply supporting evidence.

As for meetings like you have, ask the same people who were at the meeting do you know anyone that has ever used the benefits system? If so what contribution have they made to making sure that the correct benefits are paid to those on the sick or dole, or disabled?

I have to do this every day.

• NotReally
    NotReally Community member Posts: 66 Empowering
  • Dendoo
    Dendoo Community member Posts: 56 Connected

typical busy bodies know nothing x

• Remina
    Remina Community member Posts: 190 Empowering

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful replies, I really appreciate it.

*big hugs for everyone

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 981 Pioneering
    edited October 10

I really hope you're ok. Remember they are absolutely worthless and likely have many other vicious beliefs, you are already the better person on that count alone.

please try to put it out of your mind if you can and definitely complain about that police officer, absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

• Stickman
    Stickman Community member Posts: 121 Empowering

I don't think people really understand what it's like to be disabled, unless you are in a wheelchair they think you're OK, can walk or fit for work etc.

The other day I was thinking maybe it's just the way we're brought up? We're told to "Stay away from the person in the wheelchair" or "Mind that person with the stick". I think a little bit of understanding is needed. After all, we are all disabled in some way - nobody's perfect. There are invisible disabilities, and that is what needs to be addressed. We need to learn more.

• inaspin
    inaspin Community member Posts: 6 Listener

As someone with a lifelong physical disability I find my mental health harder to deal with especially since Covid, the point being anyone looking at me can easily see I have issues with movement, what you can’t see is what’s going on between the ears, no one gets up on a morning and decides to have a day with mental anguish dominating your thoughts and controlling your day, these folk who are lucky enough not to suffer should first off be thankful and secondly pipe down.

It’s awful @Remina you had to listen to others who don’t understand just what it’s like and those who found it funny well that’s on them, keep your head up.

• colejames
    colejames Community member Posts: 7 Connected

Hi Remina,

It is appalling that you were treated that way and that no-one objected to those comments especially if police and councillors were in attendance. Councillors are supposed to adhere to a Code of Conduct as well as the Nolan Principles and they will have failed to meet those standards if they let such comments go unrefuted. You do have options if you would like to take this further but I can appreciate that you may not wish to make a target of yourself and there are ways which you could still take action. They are:

Write to the organisers of the meeting and explain that you were in attendance at the meeting and that as a disabled person the behaviour of other at the meeting along with the lack of any action taken by organisers left you feeling shocked. isolated, hurt and vulnerable. You could also raise the point that by allowing these views from being countered they are allowing that attitude to proliferate and that hate crimes against minority groups are rising more rapidly than other crimes because of such attitudes. You could also say that those responsible for the meeting need to ensure that this does not happen again because it undermines the reason for the meeting.

If the meeting was organised by either the police or a council, you could write to them to raise your concerns. Even if you did not use the word complain, they would still be required to investigate the incident. It may be that there could be either a councillor or a police officer who wasn't confident enough to challenge the behaviour but they may be willing to say something if an investigation were to take place. If you are worried about any comeback, with regard to councillors complaints about the actions of councillors are dealt with by the local district council Monitoring Officer who will carry out an investigation (each Monitoring Officer will have independent consultants who can carry out investigations). The process is confidential and there is an onus on the councillor to ensure that it remains confidential. I am not going to lie and say that the process is perfect, it isn't because there are very few actions which can be taken against the councillor (even with councillors and their respective bodies having petitioned the last government to put in place sanctions which could be used). At the moment, if a councillor is found to either breached or potentially breached the council then that councillor can be made to make a formal apology and undergo training to ensure that they have the knowledge of their responsibilities in the future. The government makes the case that any penalty against a councillor is also a penalty against the people who elected them, if they are suspended their electorate might lose their voice in any council discussions or decisions. I believe that the police have a similar complaints structure. In both these cases, you would need to actually name the individuals.

Another way you can make a complaint is my writing to your local paper (if you have one). Local papers generally have a public comments page and you can submit a letter to the paper but advise them that you do not want your name at the end of the letter when it is printed or anything which would identify you because you are vulnerable. They then have a duty to list the writer as anonymous or name withheld for personal reasons.

There is another way which you could take action and that is to stand for election yourself. At town and parish council levels, mostly they do not run along party lines and there are large numbers of independent members. Labour councillors, like myself, have to declare that they are Labour Party members under the rules of the party, but most other councillors do not. As I said mostly decisions are consensus based and left to the individuals opinion after hearing all the information. The points being considered are more reflective of the local community. and they can be useful pressure groups to the district and county councils.

Even if being a councillor is not for you, most district councils are likely to have a disability forum. There isn't a standard set of rules for it but the one locally to be as many local charities who work in the disability support industry as well as individual who are disabled meet to tackle issues affecting disabled being in the local community. You would certainly not be alone on one of those forums as they really push on the realities facing us as a community, especially on physical issues but it is gradually becoming more reflective of mental health.

You can also set up a petition via organisations like 38 degrees if there are issues which you don't think were discussed because of the bias at the meeting.

Hopefully these give you some ideas if you want to take things further but if you feel more comfortable staying out of the limelight, then you need to do what is best for you. I had to step down from being a councillor for a couple of years myself as following relaxations after Covid, my job was too busy for me to be able to have time to listen to my local community and put forward their views in council meetings. There were also a couple of councillors who were toxic in their opinions regarding disability, especially mental health, but other councillors countered their opinions and showed how the bigots where a minority on the council. I still felt the need to step back for the sake of my mental health. (I have been fortunate to be co-opted back onto the council and hopefully making a difference for the local community.)

The key thing is for you to do what works best for yourself, we forget to put ourselves first and often suffer because of it. I have encountered people like them and luckily there are a lot more people who recognise the impact that disability has on individuals as well as their families and friends.