How to Prepare for a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Assessment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to Prepare for a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Assessment

2»

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering

Matilda said:

Assessors/DWP, in general, seem to be more unreasonable with those with mental disabilities than people with only physical - and more unreasonable with those with physical conditions that in theory might improve (if unlikely) than people with recognised long-term degenerative diseases that they've had for a long time.  Though some totally bizarre reports have been made by 'health care professionals' with about as much medical expertise as the average unskilled labourer (but this is insulting to unskilled labourers).

This is nothing new. I wrote something (a relatively common side effect of a condition I have) on my DLA form, GP was contacted and said I was undergoing physio for this issue. DWP "medical services" (who have never met me) decided this couldn't be the case at all. Do they think I attend physio for fun or something?

The person making the final decision isn't medically trained, which I find most bizarre. With my PIP consideration, I sent in a lot of evidence stating I have xyz causing abc issues. But no, because the assessor says I had no difficulties, I can't possibly have those difficulties. Everyone else who knows me, says the opposite.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP don't want to admit that either their poorly-trained clerks, or their poorly qualified health care "professionals" (excuse me while I burst out laughing) could possibly have made mistakes, despite evidence to the contrary.

On another subject, assessors might ask claimants if they do their own housework.  If they say they do, this will be taken as evidence that they are "active" and therefore not disabled.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.