ESA ! — Scope | Disability forum


I claimed ESA after my partner almost a year before she had an assessment and failed for being able to talk and was to clean and had clean clothes how can someone be assessed with a spinal problem who has had four operation and because you can talk look clean with nice clothes have anything to do with it. Anyway she failed because of this and had her ESA stopped week later mine has been stop rang and have no record of me getting ESA well you been paying me for over a year lol so was told to claim again I mean does anyone know what the hell this people do when sorting claims iam lost why mine has gone no letter nothing has been received by me ...??


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi there - it's very frustrating when this kind of stuff happens. I have a few suggestions. Firstly, try ringing the DWP number back, explain what has happened and ask to speak to a supervisor, explaining that your claim must exist, as you have been receiving ESA, and that you need to establish the status of your claim as you wish to challenge your ESA being stopped. You may well need some help from a local advice agency to try and sort this out, so you could call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333, and they may be able to help you find a local advice agency such as Citizens Advice who can support you through trying to get your ESA back. As soon as you have some paperwork which shows how many points you received from the ESA assessment, then you will have a better idea of how to proceed. There is excellent information on various websites about the ESA activities and descriptors, including a site called This is partly a subscription website, but there is also a lot of detail on it about challenging ESA refusals. The key to getting your ESA back, once you have received a formal decision, is to target where you think you should score points, and to back this up if possible with medical evidence. 
    I hope this helps, and good luck.
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.