Severe Disabled Pension Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disabled Pension Credit

Options
jose2
jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
Could someone explain about getting this:-
I live on my own no carer.
I get state pension
I am on housing benefit.
I get standard rate PIP and higher rate mobility
Am entitled to this and will it affect any of the above benefits.
I don't want to be getting into debt owing them monies back ,bit confused about applying for it.
Can couples apply for this ,where someone has a severe disabled wife/or husband.
All help appreciated .
@jose2

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi jose2,

Yes, you can get pension credit with the severe disability addition, assuming that you don't have any other income such as a private pension. The amount of pension credit you get will depend on your state retirement pension too. 

It doesn't affect your other benefits - in fact, getting any amount of pension credit will 'passport' you to the maximum housing benefit it's possible to get in your circumstances.

The severe disability additional amount is part of pension credit, not a separate benefit, but can often be the reason why people on a full state pension get some pension credit as well.

Yes, couples can apply for it too. The amount they get would depend on their circumstances including other income.

You shouldn't be overpaid if you claim pension credit and report all the other income you are receiving. Make sure you tell the council if you get it so your housing benefit can be paid properly. 

You apply for it by making a phone call (textphone available too), here is the link.

It's commonly not claimed by people and it does make a difference to your income so please do look into it!

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• jose2
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying to my questions Will,as I have applied for it and am now in receipt of it,but was worrying that I could be getting too much money , I never had a private pension  at work and no savings,at the moment my state pension is now at £155.39 per week,do I still have to get in touch with my council? as I have not done that as yet ! ,just need a bit of reassurance on that bit.
    @jose2
  • jose2
    Options
    Hello again Will,I rang my Housing Benefits as you suggested  and they have told me not to worry ! ,they have told me  'it doesn't matter if I am getting a 1p increase or a £100 increase in pension guaranteed credit', only time to worry if they stop it.
    For all these 7 years , never knew I could apply for this  and no one ever told  me this until it was spoken of during a conversation with MacMillan help advisers in April and while I was going through PIP tribunal.Getting this PC is a really helpful, in that I may be able to pay someone to come and clean for me maybe x 1 per week.
    Thank you again Will and all your team . 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.