Severe Disability Premium element of Pension Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability Premium element of Pension Credit

Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
I have been in receipt of Pension Credit since I retired.  I was at that time receiving DLA and now  receive PIP.  Before retirement I received Severe Disability Premium.

Therefore, does my Pension Credit also include Severe Disability Premium?

Comments

• jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Hello Matilda,just saw your post today! , when I retired I was only getting the lowest Pension Credit Allowance,then someone informed me I could apply for Severe Pension Credit Allowance,which I did, and I am now in receipt of it ,took about 2 months for them to grant me it.I never got Severe Disability Premium when I was on DLA but again didn't know I could apply for it,
    Don't know if this  post helps. 
    Jose2
  • Matilda
    Thank you @jose2

I assume that as I was getting Severe Disability Premium before I retired, automatically I was transferred to Severe Pension Credit Allowance after retirement as I was on DLA (and now get PIP).

i can't recall if Pensions Service gave me a breakdown of my Pension Credit when I first retired but they don't give a breakdown when they inform me of the uprating each year.
  • jose2
    Hi @Matilda,as you now I get PIP ,I had to come on site and ask benefits adviser,as I didn't know anything about this Severe Pension Credit allowance,eventually when they did grant me it, the form they sent me was a breakdown of why I was getting it and how much each week I would get .I'm  not too sure, but is it in or around March or April (new tax year) when pensions inform us retired and disabled  by letter of it going up /down or staying the same.Mine at top of the letter says guaranteed (presume that means it will always be assured) ,Scope Benefits Adviser maybe able to help us both on that question.
    Bye for now.

• Matilda
    Just found a breakdown.  Pension credit is fiendishly complex!

My pension credit does include a payment because I am severely disabled.

They arrive at a figure based on income and call this 'guarantee credit'.  Then they add 'savings credit'.
  • jose2
    Hi again @Matilda,yes,mine also includes severe disablement now ,have to be a mathematical genius to work out figures,I still don't know why they get to some of the figures, I'll look at mine again.As you say it's fiendishly complicated.Wonder if others have this same problem ,would be interested to know ,I thought it was just me.  
  • lilley1
    lilley1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    does any one know how long it takes for pension credit award to come through my partners should start nxt wk but not had any paper work through yet any advise 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Matilda,

You can get the severe disability amount as part of your pension credit (guarantee credit) if you get the standard or enhanced daily living component of PIP, you live alone, and no one gets carer's allowance for you.

You've clearly established for yourself that this is indeed the case! It is quite a bit of extra money.

lilley1 - no one can say for certain how long the award will take to come through. I would expect anything between two and six weeks. If it has been longer, it may be worth considering a complaint if you haven't received anything in writing.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Thank you, Will.
  • jose2
    Thank you too Will,mine took about 2 months from first applying, if thats helps anyone else.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.