PIP Assessment and loss of Motabiltiy Car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment and loss of Motabiltiy Car

CeriCaterina
CeriCaterina Community member Posts: 2 Listener

I'd like to ask a question on behalf of a friend please?  She has received the higher level of DLA mobility and has had a motability car for 5 years, however after her PIP assessment, they awarded her the standard level of mobility - she has today posted a letter to request a redecision, but she has now received a letter from Motability to return her car.

She is housebound without her car, and I am sure that if it went to appeal, she would win as her health has deteriorated recently.  Does she have to return her car now, or can she await the response to her request for a decision?

Thank you

Comments

• CeriCaterina
    CeriCaterina Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Hi, sorry, I  think if have answered my own query regarding the car, and can see the advice from Motability regarding the car.

Can I ask for advice on the timescale for a decision about reconsidering her PIP, obviously if this is upheld then she will have to go to appeal?

Thank you

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    CeriCaterina,

You will have seen that your friend has options about what happens to the car.

There simply isn't a timescale we can give about the mandatory reconsideration. It could be a couple of weeks, it could be longer. The more evidence (particularly medical evidence) she can provide the better, but unfortunately, the number of MRs which are successful is very small indeed (just 2 out of 10, approximately).

What this means is that most people if they want to continue challenging the decision have to go to appeal. There, the rate of success if higher at about 64%.

Do get a copy of the assessor's report, and complain about that if necessary (to the assessment company). Do consider getting your friend's MP involved.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @CeriCaterina Hi I am one of the few who achieved an upgrade on my mobility at Mandatory Reconsideration. So it is possible but you have to be proactive. Your friend can ring DWP anytime right up to appeal if it goes that far and ask for a call back from a Case Worker to discuss her claim and why she disagrees with the assessor's report. Has she got the assessor's report? If not she can ask DWP to send her a copy. This will give her a good indication why she was only recommended for standard rate and not enhanced. There is a lot of advice on here about the actual criteria for the enhanced mobility and reading this will help her understand the descriptors and how to qualify for enhanced. It may be that although she qualified under DLA she may not under PIP but seeing the report and understanding how it all works is her next step I feel.

Brightness