Carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance

Options
Destinyh
Destinyh Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi I currently get dla for my eldest and my youngest and carers allowance for my eldest. My eldests dla is due to end in oct due to her turning 16 so if she is refused pip then I know the carers allowance will end. 
My question is wil I be able to make a new claim for carers for my youngest straight away or will I have to wait untill after her renewel as her dla is due for renewel in Feb, so when my eldests dla ends my youngest will have 4 months left until her renewel.
thanks 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Destinyh,

There's no reason you can't make a change so that carer's allowance is paid in respect of your full-time care for your youngest instead. You don't have to wait. Assuming your youngest gets DLA at the middle or highest rate care component you could do this now, or when your eldest's DLA ends, whichever you prefer. 

Of course you then need to get the renewal of your youngest's DLA to go through ok, but that should be fine.

I hope that your eldest will get PIP, of course there is no guarantee but if you want any advice on that then do post again. If she doesn't get it then it is well worth considering challenging the decision.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.