Struggling to commute ... have I made a mistake? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling to commute ... have I made a mistake?

Ross1303
Ross1303 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi guys, 

Just wondering if anyone has any advice?

I've got mild spastic CP effecting my hips downwards. I have reasonable mobility in terms of distance etc but that seems to have been deteriorating somewhat over the last few years as in less distance before becomes painful.

Anyways I have changed jobs about 6 months ago which is not financially a viable option to drive to but did come with the promise that home working was available once probation was passed.

I took the chance knowing that the commute was borderline doable but being completely honest I've suddenly found myself in a catch 22 situation.
The commute has exposed things that I didn't really know as I've spent years just getting in the car and getting straight to the office. Whilst some days were painful and I didn't have great movement I could still get in mainly through gritted teeth.
However now the increased physical activity seems to be making my muscles seize up more and the lack of mobility making the commute pretty difficult.
The Dr has had me on baclofen but that's doesn't have a huge effect I don't think others than making me fill Ill in different ways. I have been referred to a physio who is trying to get me to do more core strengthening but that seems to be a very much things get worse before they get better.

I'm really worried that I've put myself in a position where I'm making myself unemployable to them. They've obviously employed me in good faith where I've said I didn't think my condition would be an issue but  the major draw of their offer was the working from home aspect as it would have cured any absences I have had I've the years. Yet I know that working from home would be hugely beneficial to me... I could do the core strengthening without worrying the initial issues I have experience of increased spasms and seizures are impacting on my getting to work as I'm l ready there. This in tern should improve things for me if I can initially get over that hump.

The Dr has suggested being signed off if things are bad ... I really don't want this to be an option in probation

I'm just worried I've messed up and could find myself without a job when I've a little one to support and the wife's wages not enough to cover me on statutory sick pay.

Anyone been in a similar position? Any suggestions

Sorry to rant when I do genuinely feel lucky to be as mobile as I am and there's people far worse than me

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Ross1303  and welcome to the community.

How long before your probation period is over? As you started about 6 months ago I am assuming it would not be much longer. 

If things have been going well I would suggest talking to your employer about the issues you are having and see if they would consider letting you work from home for two or three days a week until the probation period is up. It would reduce the stress for you and allow you some time for recovery. They may come up with alternatives for you that might make it easier. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ross1303
    It has been extended a further month as I have fallen behind a little as I've had a few days off etc that's ment my case load getting behind.
  • Roland
    Roland Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Hello @Ross1303 I assume you have declared your disability to your employers and they are therefore legally obliged to put in  place reasonable adjustments for you. Could you consider asking them to bring forward the date at which you can start working from home? Could you start working from home say one or two days a week immediately? Could you vary your working hours and therefore flex the times at which you have to commute? Are there different ways of getting to the office? Do your employers have occupational health people that you could talk to? Don't give up!
  • Ross1303
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll have a word with them tomorrow all being well.

I'm not sure on the occupational health side of things but can ask. Guess it's the whole probation thing that's got me worried. 

The Dr has asked several times if I want to be signed off see if a rest and additional stretching work helps but again I'm not sure how this would be viewed. Not getting sick pay while on probation really doesn't help either as it's sort of forcing my hand a little.

• Ross1303
    Just as an update.

I was still off work yesterday and visited the drs again.... more x rays and a different physio referal 

Anyway I hadn't got the chance to request home working be brought forward. However, work left me a message that my pc etc would be ready today for me to take home today and start working from home straight away.

Such a relief they couldn't have been nicer today either.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross1303 thank you for the update, that is awesome.

All the best for the future and hope you enjoy your post.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.