Denied PIP Claim. 2nd successful application and a successful tribunal result. What happens now. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Denied PIP Claim. 2nd successful application and a successful tribunal result. What happens now.

paulakath
paulakath Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi,i first pt in a claim for pip in august 2016, this claim was denied so i appealled. the claim was then sent to the tribunal. inbetween i again claimed pip which was awarded but with no mobility element, this was backdated to 16 feb 2017. i have just recieved the letter from the tribunal saying they have overturned the dwp decision and awarde me the daily living allowance and high rate mobility component from august 2016, what will happen now please?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @paulakath.

Welcome to our website & online community I do hope that we can help you further !!!!

We have got a lot of info on the PIP process on our home page.

You will also find a "Benefits Advisor" who will be ideal for starters.

Please please let me if we can help you further ???
  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @paulakath;

Welcome, and thanks for your post.

I am going to move this discussion into our Ask a benefits advisor section and see if the @BenefitsTrainingCo can help.

Great to have you here.
  • paulakath
    paulakath Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hi, and thank you
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @paulakath

Hmmm, a bit of a tricky one!

Normally, the position would be that the award would just apply to the date of the new claim, and if this was made on the basis of 'change of circumstances' (although I appreciate that in reality your circumstances may not have changed that much, if at all) then I think this will very likely be the case, as if you have indicated that your circumstances have changed this would be legitimate grounds for supersession in any even.

However there are other factors at play here, and if you did not indicate with your new claim that your circumstances had changed, then I think alot might depend on what the Tribunal have indicated in the Decision. Have a read of it, there is usually an indication of when the award is intended to begin and how long it is intended to run for. If it is indicated that this is longer than the period to when your new claim began, I'd say there is an argument that your claim should be fully backdated with mobility and added to the present award.

Apologies if this is slightly unclear, if you would like us to be a bit more specific, please reply with (a) whether the new claim indicated that your circumstances had changed and (b) the exact wording of the Tribunal decision.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.